Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

4yo blood test, feeling anxious

(9 Posts)
bippityboppitypoo Sun 14-Jun-15 22:28:47

My 4yo dd is having a blood test on Friday, I am so nervous for her. Does anyone know the standard procedure? Should I pre warn her or say nothing?

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 14-Jun-15 22:31:46

DS had one done at about 3 years old. They have it down to a fine art IME. I sat on the bed with DS between my legs to hold him, one nurse held a book across his arm so he couldn't see the needle and chatted to him whilst Dr took the blood. Yes he did cry but it was really over very very quickly and he stopped crying quite quickly.

bippityboppitypoo Mon 15-Jun-15 07:24:17

cuntycow did they use numbing cream? I think it's me who needs to stay calm so that she does, brave face!

pashmina696 Mon 15-Jun-15 16:16:01

it depends on the childs veins if they use the cream - they have never used it on my son who was 1/2/3 when he had blood tests as they said as they were so small they wouldnt see them if they used the cream. good luck they are usually excellent at it.

cameorole Mon 15-Jun-15 18:46:39

We've had cream every time and it was fine. I would definitely prepare your DD for it, though. My DS once had an unexpected blood test and it was a bit of a shock despite it not hurting very much. The last time we found it really helped to distract him with videos on our phone/ipad. He was fascinated by the needle and didn't seem to mind it at all! (age 4 at the time). Are you going to a phlebotomy unit in a hospital's paediatric dept?

bippityboppitypoo Mon 15-Jun-15 19:24:53

Yes exactly that cam, she knows we are going to hospital and that its so we can make her better. I have not said "you will be having a needle" I don't want her to spend all week worrying if that makes sense. Maybe I should mention it on the day?

bippityboppitypoo Mon 15-Jun-15 19:25:51

Thank you pashmina, I spoke to a mum at school today who took her daughter to the same place we are going and she said they were great which has put my mind at rest a little

cameorole Tue 16-Jun-15 21:10:06

Your approach makes a lot of sense. No point worrying her in advance! Great to hear it's a good place -- if they're experienced she may not even notice it being done.

MilliVanilliTinyWilly Fri 26-Jun-15 20:07:02

Too late to this. Numbing cream and don't let them use plasters to keep it on. Cling film all the way. Hope it went well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now