Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do all your children have allergies?

(10 Posts)
ZebraZeebra Sat 06-Jun-15 12:31:34

Ds is nearly three and has several allergies and eczema. It was very obvious he had a nut allergy after a topical exposure ahead four months but I got nowhere with referrals for tests. Eventually we paid to have then done privately, proved he was allergic to nuts and eggs and the GP finally referred us for yearly testing.

We now also have 13 week old DD who is showing patches of eczema. Should I be concerned she also has allergies? She's EBF and with DS, once I cut out eggs his skin improved vastly. He has developed a bacterial skin infection from scratching because he was also EBf and we didn't know.

Is it a given siblings would have allergies - did your younger child develop similar allergies to your older child?

TIA!

ZebraZeebra Sat 06-Jun-15 12:33:47

*had developed a skin infection. All cleared up quickly once I knew what to cut out.

BeeBawBabbity Sat 06-Jun-15 12:48:13

Only my youngest of two has allergies (nuts) and hay fever.

SavoyCabbage Sat 06-Jun-15 13:21:33

No, only my oldest. She is anaphylactic to peanuts and my youngest has no allergies.

They look so alike and share so much genetically that I do find it a puzzlement.

meglet Sat 06-Jun-15 13:28:28

no. 8yo ds has hayfever and some fruit and nut allergies. too much cat sets him off too, although he can stroke them in the street..

6yo dd is fine.

I'm very gluten intolerant.

fourchetteoff Sat 06-Jun-15 13:32:13

No, just me and my DD.

My DS is absolutely fine.

ZebraZeebra Sat 06-Jun-15 14:38:47

It's all so random! In my situation would you push for some skin prick tests just to rule it out? I am concerned about her being ebf and then being weaned in a few months, and not knowing that she might be allergic to something.

Ds is allergic to eggs, nuts, sesame and housemites.

Andro Sun 07-Jun-15 00:01:19

DS has medication issues, nothing that has shown up as being severe but he has an interesting reaction to certain pain meds.

DD is allergic (anaphylactic) to something in one of the routine pre school vaccines.

Neither of their bio parents had any allergies (my dc are adopted).

Namelesswonder Mon 08-Jun-15 18:25:04

Nope, multiple allergies, intolerances and Coeliac disease in one DC, other one absolutely nothing!

alteredimages Mon 08-Jun-15 18:30:03

No. I have asthma, hayfever and allergies to several kinds of animal.

DD (almost 5) so far has no allergies, although ant bites and mosquito bites tend to become a bit inflamed.

17 no DS is allergic to eggs and banana and has had at least one asthma attack.

I am pleased DD isn't showing any signs yet and hope it stays that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now