Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What can I eat ?

(7 Posts)
Babieseverywhere Tue 05-May-15 21:38:13

Just on a temporary basis, I am on a restricted diet on doctors orders until next set of blood tests.

But I need ideas of cheap, simple food I can eat for the next three weeks. Hopefully once we have an answer, I can start reintroducing food groups.

Restrictions are as follows :-

1. No garlic, onion or strong spices (chilli etc)
2. No high fat food
3. No lactose/milk (As I have a very strong reaction to this and recently I seem to be much worse)
4. Struggling with wheat....gives me bad stomach pain but Ihave had clear blood test for celiac but DH wants me to continue eating this in case blood test or further tests might show a problem)
5. Eating low Fodmaps as doctor thinks I have IBS, this cuts out another set of possible food.

Nearly everything seems to have milk, onion powder or garlic powder in it sad

Currently living on plain white rice and chicken....scrambled eggs...sandwiches with milk free bread, pure soya spread and Turkey, ham.....jacket potato and dry tuna...bananas, carrots, sorbet and soya yogurt.

Any other suggestions welcome for simple, cheap meals ?

TIA

Babieseverywhere Tue 05-May-15 21:44:57

Bump

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-May-15 21:58:40

bumped and moved for you
Can't help but sure the allergy folks can help

Babieseverywhere Tue 05-May-15 22:05:20

Thank you smile

MoustacheofRonSwanson Wed 06-May-15 07:45:20

I do fodmaps and when IBS is bad, it is rice and chicken for me...

I grate lemon/lime/orange zest into the rice for flavour. Rice based things like paella, adapted so no garlic etc are nice. Prawn fried rice done with just a tiny bit of coconut oil and alfalfa sprouts stirred through as a replacement for bean sprouts.

Fresh herbs like basil, parsley can also liven up rice no end. I make a chicken risotto with just chicken stock and a wee bit of olive oil, which is lovely with roast chicken.

Pork tenderloin is very lean too and goes well with rice, especially if you grate some fresh ginger and squeeze the juice over the meat at the end of cooking.

I also buy vac packed chestnuts sometimes to make a change from rice/potatoes. Lovely with some lean beef and spinach.

Quinoa and corn and technically fodmaps safe but I find they give me a wee bit of trouble (I think its the higher fibre content). If you are fine with those though, air popped popcorn is a great standby and quinoa cooked in stock with lemon/herbs stirred through tastes lovely, sort of like a tabboleh.

Pop chips are also good as a treat, v low fat crisps. Salted ones only though, other flavours have garlic/milk in them.

By the way, the fructans in wheat are a major IBS trigger so it could be difficult to be symptom free whilst still eating wheat. If you want to still eat it for future diagnosis, that's up to you, but bear it in mind when you evaluate whether low fodmaps is working for you or not. Your doctor has given you some conflicting advice there.

Good luck and take care.

Babieseverywhere Wed 06-May-15 09:00:41

I would rather give up wheat and feel better tbh.

MoustacheofRonSwanson Wed 06-May-15 09:33:05

Worked for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now