Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

recommend me a breakfast cereal for gluten/egg/dairy free toddler

(5 Posts)
ilovetosleep Wed 29-Apr-15 09:48:16

DS2 is 1yo and refuses breakfast every day because all he wants to eat is DS1's breakfast cereals (he has the Quakers oat pillows and weetabix crunchy bran and sometimes those awful Bear Alphabet things)

Its impossible to get him to eat anything off a spoon so he completely refuses porridge, the only thing I have succeded with in the mornings is fruit. he will eat a few cornflakes but not enough to fill him up. He wants to eat something that looks just like what his big brother is eating!

Free from sections where I am are rubbish, and all the suitable options seem loaded with sugar. any ideas?

thanks

MayfairMummy Wed 29-Apr-15 10:40:06

We have a lot of rice puffs in our house, but we can't have nuts/ corn either (as well as your list) I also get some of the types of muesli with dried fruit. they tend to be higher sugar though. You could also try making your own muesli bars as you can control exactly what goes in them, and they can make good finger food...

InterOuta Fri 01-May-15 22:08:06

Have you tried porridge with honey? Worked with my very fussy little one who refused plain porridge.

If it's just wheat you are avoiding and not gluten, then there are quite a few normal like cereals you can have like coco pops and Rice Krispies

ilovetosleep Sat 02-May-15 21:27:43

I have made granola but not a lot goes down. I think he just gets bored at breakfast time. I guess I need to keep trying different things. I had hoped there might be a cereal out there that both of them could enjoy that wasn't plain puffs. Picking those up one at a time might challenge his concentration span a little too far! We have tried sweetening porridge with all sorts of things including honey, he won't eat it and i suspect the spoon is the issue. he will not eat anything off a spoon. He'll sometimes accept a fork but not a spoon.

Actually it could be a texture thing? (we never had this problem with DS1) as he mainly eats chunks of things, nothing mushy. I had always thought of this as a spoon refusal issue but as I type this I realise actually it could be that he doesn't like mushy things. but then he does like soft veg cooked in stews etc which can be pretty mushy. Oh I don't know! Am completely at a loss with breakfast!

incywincyspideragain Sat 02-May-15 23:40:10

What about a more continental breakfast? Ham, cucumber? Chunks of fruit? We've picked up some good ideas from paleo diet about having things for breakfast that aren't normally uk breakfast food, although bacon and tomatoes, baked beans and hash Brown's work quite well - really can't think of any better cereal ideas than the ones suggested x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now