Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help!! Really don't know where to go from here.

(9 Posts)
bronya Wed 29-Apr-15 09:37:32

Little DD is weaning. So far she has reacted in two different ways to different things. Some things just give her the runs, to the point where her intestines are so irritated that she cannot even absorb milk and loses weight. Some things give her a slightly delayed skin reaction. So far, only chicken, coconut yoghurt and baby rice have been 'safe'.

Eczema: carrot, dairy (through me!), chickpeas (in homemade hummus with the coyo yog), peas.
Diahorrea: dairy (through me), tomato.

Have a GP appointment for tomorrow with the backing of the HV. The wait for allergy testing is apparently about four months though! HV was otherwise clueless.

Can anyone recommend some 'safe' foods to try? Things hardly anyone ever reacts to? If I can even get as far as a couple of starchy things, chicken and a few veg then that would give her something reasonable to eat. My milk really isn't enough any more, she's 6 months old and just desperate for food sad.

bronya Wed 29-Apr-15 09:38:51

And if it helps, her dad gets the runs from tomatoes and milk, I have mild eczema (but not food related), and am coeliac.

bronya Wed 29-Apr-15 09:39:56

Maternal grandma threw up eggs too. Fine cooked in things though.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Wed 29-Apr-15 09:43:21

Normally root vegetables are ok from a food intolerance point of view. How did you cook the carrots (I wonder if it's something else, like butter or oil)?

bakingtins Wed 29-Apr-15 09:48:27

Google 'allergenicity of foods' the top hit is a really useful PDF with a table of the least allergenic foods. Most reactions to food, particularly delayed reactions like eczema or diarrhoea are intolerance rather than true allergy and she may not be positive on allergy testing anyway.

My ds2 was dairy and soya intolerant, the two commonly go together and the soya intolerance seemed to extend to peas and legumes, so I'd leave trialling soya until later in the process!

bronya Wed 29-Apr-15 09:57:04

Boiled carrots in water. Tried twice so definitely them.

That is VERY interesting about legumes going with dairy intolerance though. I was very surprised but now it all makes sense!
I will Google for that pdf. Just feel so bad trying new foods. My beautiful little girl, and I give her things that make her skin raw.

bronya Fri 01-May-15 08:38:14

bakingtins did your DS grow out of it? If so at what age?

bakingtins Sat 02-May-15 08:52:14

Off Meds for reflux at 16m, totally normal diet at 2.5yrs.

bronya Sat 02-May-15 10:56:19

Thank you bakingtins that gives me hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now