Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS 9 months has egg, wheat, peanut allergy

(34 Posts)
Suntzu Sat 18-Apr-15 10:45:38

How do we make sure he grows out of it by age 2? He also has eczema, but we're now slowly getting that under control - thanks to the lovely mumsnet advice we had!
We heard of the research on peanut allergy recently, plus am aware that dieticians do recommend careful introduction of allergic foods. What do you do? Many thanks!

Suntzu Sat 18-Apr-15 15:20:07

Just read up on allergy desensitisation. How would we do it? Can we just start introducing tiny bits of food, and power through reactions?

NeedANewDirection Sat 18-Apr-15 15:53:05

If your child is properly allergic you need to be under a paediatric allergy clinic and dietician. They will advise what you need to do, how to ensure he gets a balanced diet and monitor his allergy status. Personally I wouldn't advise trying to run a desensitisation programme yourself.

MayfairMummy Sun 19-Apr-15 09:42:48

Suntzu,

desensitisation should only be done under medical supervision.
reintroduction of allergic foods will be recommended by the docs as you go along; the idea being that if your child has a very mild reaction, they can introduce small amounts back into their diet as they slowly grow out of it.

Best thing to help grow out of it quickly, that can be done by you, is to introduce a daily probiotic to your child's diet.... new research shows it reduces the average age an allergy is grown out of.

You should also be aware that not all allergies are always grown out of. Only 20% or so of peanut allergic children grow out of it. something like 80% of dairy allergic children do, though.

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 19-Apr-15 09:47:17

No no please don't "power through" reactions on your own.shock

FanjoForTheMammaries Sun 19-Apr-15 09:47:53

Careful introduction of egg is often recommended but not until age 5

Suntzu Tue 21-Apr-15 21:21:31

Thanks very much for the advice!! We are getting referred to a pead but it's taking a while so thought to see what the mumsnet advice was. I'm still breastfeeding him so am eating all the things he's allergic to so he gets exposed to trace amounts. I read that the earlier they're exposed the more likely they'll hrow

Am also giving him sheep's milk yoghurt so hopefully that's probiotic-ish.

Suntzu Tue 21-Apr-15 21:22:46

Grow out of it (not hrow) I meant to type grin

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 21-Apr-15 21:42:14

The paed will tell you to avoid the allergens.

FanjoForTheMammaries Tue 21-Apr-15 21:49:10

Well they will definitely tell you not to feed him the allergens directly. And I think probably not to eat them yourself while breastfeeding but I am not 100% sure on that one.

EggsAreNotFromCows Tue 21-Apr-15 23:18:11

Depends on how well they tolerate it. We were told to continue bf and me to continue consuming dairy with baby with severe cmpa in the hope that some desensitisation would happen. But had to cut out dairy myself in the end due to DC's rampant eczema. Which got much better.

You need to avoid allergens unless you plan to have A&E on standby hmm

Have the allergies been confirmed via skin prick test?
I ask because with all my children, they got hivey reactions with egg, but it wasn't a real allergy - just a skin reaction which they outgrew in a few months.

Suntzu Wed 22-Apr-15 09:15:53

We had a blood test which confirmed egg and wheat allergy. Peanut allergy was a recent development when we gave him a tiny bit of peanut butter and he came out on spots. I had always been eating a lot of eggs and wheat, peanuts all through pregnancy and breastfeeding. And when his eczema first came up, we thought it was heat rash till about 3 months when the nurse at his immunizations said it was probably eczema.

So the food I eat doesn't seem to cause a reaction to him these days (though it might have in the early days but we were too ignorant to know!)

FanjoForTheMammaries Wed 22-Apr-15 09:19:15

you may find his eczema clears up if you stop the offending foods. May, not definitely.

Suntzu Wed 22-Apr-15 09:21:09

He now seems to tolerate good quality wheat products (we give him maybe a finger tip amount), and croissants (which contain egg). Peanuts still just via my breastmilk. Straight, unprocessed cooked egg still not really tolerated though. But a smudge of egg some food is fine.

Suntzu Wed 22-Apr-15 09:22:18

For the rest then I think we'll wait till we see the dietician, I guess.

Interested in what you're doing though.

Suntzu Wed 22-Apr-15 09:24:38

He used to have eczema all over his body, and now it's just the odd half a finger tip patch on his cheek and upper lip. Hence we're continuing with the allergen exposure.

Suntzu Wed 22-Apr-15 09:25:42

If we got a strong reaction we would stop till the eczema is stabilised.

Maybe83 Wed 22-Apr-15 09:36:03

My dd is 19 months old and I just seen her allergist yesterday. She has an egg allergy and suspected diary allergy among other things now based on our description of the last few months. An egg allergy is not unusable but usually it's to pure egg form.

We have been through 19 months of absolute hell with her due to uncontrolled eczema. I questioned again and again with my gp about removing her from dairy and was told no due to new advice to keep the allergen in diet to reduce the affects of it.

We were waiting months for her allergist test which was only brought forward because she had a full blown anaphylaxis reaction to a product that traces of egg powder. The allergist said she has a very complex allergy and she needs urgent skin prick testing for a number of things and to keep her of diary going forward. She now needs calcium and vit d replacement.

While waiting on the appointment I went of the gp advice and things on the internet. She will only be able to have reintroduction under medical supervision now. I really wouldn't recommend doing it your self with out medical advice.

I was told when dd blood test came back positive at 7 months that she wouldn't have anaphylactic reaction to egg. She now need any epi pen at all times.

Maybe83 Wed 22-Apr-15 09:40:05

I meant to add before the anaphylactic reaction she had small exposure to egg that had reacted in her skin but not full blown anaphylactic episode.

FanjoForTheMammaries Wed 22-Apr-15 10:34:57

I think doing this yourself before you have professional advice is very irresponsible, sorry.

Suntzu Wed 22-Apr-15 23:54:38

I wouldn't normally pursue this myself but the paed referral is taking ages, and the research on peanuts (and their previous research on dairy) indicate that you need to start early. Even as early as 4 months old to give a good chance of outgrowing peanut allergy. Using their method of none reaction exposure they managed to get 80% of their patients to tolerate peanuts. Based on data that developing countries don't normally have allergies.

Suntzu Wed 22-Apr-15 23:57:27

maybe does your dd react to processed egg or jusst to pure egg?

Suntzu Thu 23-Apr-15 03:06:17

[[ www.breastfeeding.asn.au/allergens-probiotics-and-breastmilk?q=allergens-probiotics-and-breastmilk ]]

Link above to an article summarising the research which attempts to mimic how breastmilk exposes young children to allergens in a supportive environment which would desensitise them to allergens.

SavoyCabbage Thu 23-Apr-15 04:24:34

Absolutely everybody who has a child with an allergy wants it to go away. If we could fix it then we would.

I've just waved off my eleven year old to school camp, nine hours away with her epipen. Trusting other people to keep her alive.

There are teams of doctors and scientists all over the world (my dd took part in a trial in Australia) researching allergies, carrying out trials and studying research data. Trying to find out what causes these allergies and how they might be cured. You can't just mess about with it yourself.

You can have the peanut desensitising done privately now for about £12000.

Maybe83 Thu 23-Apr-15 14:23:59

Both in it's pure and processed form.

Regarding the new pea nut and introduction of high allergen foods advice I was under the impression that only related to children who had no known other allergy s and no eczema.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now