Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It is normal for newborn baby to have hives?

(7 Posts)
HyperThread Fri 06-Feb-15 07:15:47

Hi,

Newborn baby is mixed fed and has large hives on body. Does that indicate an allergy or could it just be baby acne?

Redhead11 Fri 06-Feb-15 07:17:02

might be an allergy. Better check it out with your GP/HV just to be sure.

HyperThread Fri 06-Feb-15 07:29:21

Thanks, it's a friends PFB but I'm not sure whether I should say anything?
My DS has multiple allergies so I'm pretty experienced in it all but don't want to interfere either.

tinymeteor Fri 06-Feb-15 07:32:47

Could be CMPI in which case very manageable but this stuff is emotive especially on day 3 when she's probably having the big hormone crash. Go gently but suggest she mentions it to the HV next chance she gets.

DropYourSword Fri 06-Feb-15 07:37:33

Is it hives (which is not usual), or is it newborn rash which is very common. Might be worth looking up some information on toxic erythema - don't worry about the word toxic!

flanjabelle Fri 06-Feb-15 07:43:49

It could just be a normal rash newborns get. DD was covered with big spots when she was born, they came up in the first twenty four hours and She kept getting them for the first few weeks. I asked about them and was told it was her skin getting used to being in air rather than fluid.

HyperThread Fri 06-Feb-15 08:58:47

It isn't the normal baby rash, it definitely looks like hives. Maybe I should just wait and see how she gets on? My nephew had CMPA since birth, had eczema but didn't show any other reaction like runny upsets or crying and didn't affect his sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: