Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

gluten free pancakes, asking the impossible?

(23 Posts)
meglet Wed 28-Jan-15 19:39:16

until I tried cooking GF pancakes I thought I'd cracked this GF business.

I used Doves farm flour as usual, mixed it up, looked fine, looked fine when I poured it in the pan......... then it fell to pieces when I tried to turn it over. so I had a lovely, normal tasting pancake but it was rather mashed up.

is there a knack to GF pancakes?

girlsyearapart Wed 28-Jan-15 19:41:58

Don't know if it would make any difference but I have had to learn egg free pancakes which are one cup flour and one cup milk. Maybe just keeping it really simple might help..?

SoupDragon Wed 28-Jan-15 19:45:53

I make gluten free Pancakes using Nigella's American Pancake recipe and simply using the Doves flour. I think they are more robust as they are thick pancakes.

dementedpixie Wed 28-Jan-15 19:46:30

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2920665/glutenfree-pancakes - did you leave it to rest? (I assume you mean flat ones rather than thicker scotch pancakes)

SoupDragon Wed 28-Jan-15 19:47:32

300ml milk
1 egg
225 g flour
1tablespoon baking powder
30g butter.

It's runnier than the normal creamy batter made with ordinary flour but works ok.

Artandco Wed 28-Jan-15 19:50:21

I would do:

125g doves flour (1/2 cup)
125g ground almonds (1/2 cup)
250g milk (1 cup)
X2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder

Mix and leave for at least 10 minutes before using ( ideally make in eve and in fridge to use in morning)

PrimalLass Wed 28-Jan-15 19:51:56

I do crepes with Doves Farm gf flour, using Nigellas recipe. I could never do fat pancakes with normal flour anyway.

RonaldMcFartNuggets Wed 28-Jan-15 19:53:00

I do 1 egg, 1 mashed banana, blitz with some vanilla,cinnamon and fry.

CMOTDibbler Wed 28-Jan-15 19:54:06

I do crepes with Doves farm flour and Delias recipe. I think the secret is leaving it to rest for at least 30 minutes before using

meglet Wed 28-Jan-15 20:19:38

ah good smile . it's possible then. Thank you.

demented of course view didn't leave it to rest blush . too impatient for my breakfast. I'll do it properly next time.

meglet Wed 28-Jan-15 20:20:21

I not 'view'

WLondonMum Wed 28-Jan-15 20:25:17

I make them with buckwheat flour which is gluten free, there are loads of recipes on the web for these. I use oat milk as we are also dairy free and sometimes I make them egg free too and use ripe banana instead to bind.

FaintlyMacabre Wed 28-Jan-15 20:26:44

I actually prefer crepes made with doves farm gf flour (I'm not coeliac but DH is). You don't get the 'first pancake' problem and the taste is less floury and more delicate. I never bother leaving it to rest either, but if you do, make sure you stir it very well before cooking. The flour sinks so the batter becomes uneven and needs remixing. I also find using the absolute bare minimum of batter needed to cover the base of the pan makes better pancakes. (In other words, as thin as possible).

Threeplus1 Wed 28-Jan-15 20:28:46

What ronald said.... Whizz up eggs with mashed bananas, cinnamon and vanilla. Fry in a pan with butter and drizzle with maple syrup - yum!

SoupDragon Wed 28-Jan-15 21:03:00

I've used buckwheat before too. I've never left the batter to rest either and it's not been a problem.

meglet Wed 28-Jan-15 21:17:40

adding ripe banana sounds delicious.

MoreBeta Wed 28-Jan-15 21:26:41

I do GF crepes with Doves farm flour using this recipe. The mix should be consistency of double cream so adjust milk up or down a bit if too thick or thin. You should make sure the mixture is room temp as it will not cook when it hits the pan otherwise.

Recipe:

2 eggs
110g/4oz plain flour
enough milk to bind
Melt a little butter to mix into batter

Cook using a smear of butter in a crepe pan - don't burn the butter though.

MsRainbow Wed 28-Jan-15 21:45:51

I make lovely fluffy and light American style pancakes.
125g Doves Farm self raising flour
1 egg
Tbs sugar
Buttermilk.
Put flour, egg and sugar in a mixing bowl and add enough buttermilk to make a thick batter.
My DCs love them.

ppeatfruit Thu 29-Jan-15 10:08:16

I make really good pancakes with rice flour (dh prefers them to normal flour). The thinner the better, I sometimes use organic soya milk instead of eggs too which works well believe it or not.

Good idea not to put the batter in the pan when it's too cold. morebeta

hazeyjane Thu 29-Jan-15 10:12:21

I just use a normal pancake recipe, and don't bother leaving to rest, the only thing I find is that you have to keep re whisking as the flour sort of settles. Also make a nice fat pancake with Greek yoghurt mixed in that are yummy.

0ellenbrody0 Fri 30-Jan-15 20:39:23

I use Jamie Oliver's basic recipe: 1 cup (I use kids plastic ikea cup) each of flour, milk and then 1 egg. I whizz using the stick blender and let it stand a minute or two before using.

Plain flour makes thin, crepe like pancakes and s-r flour makes thicker american style ones.

I have used Doves farm g/f flours, asda own brand and glutafin select mix and it's all worked out fine.

Couldn't be simpler.

Lagoonablue Sat 31-Jan-15 07:45:03

Add cup of plain yoghurt to Jamie's recipe. That's nice too.

Breadandwine Wed 18-Feb-15 11:44:18

Dove's GF s/raising flour and water - that's all you need.

Mix to a batter (I never bother to leave to rest), pour into a hot, oiled, pan. When the edges start to curl a little, flip it over.

Serve with lemon and sugar - delicious!

And dead simple!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: