Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD first allergic reaction

(28 Posts)
duzzlightyearsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 07:42:37

So DD had her first mouthful of food last night. Baby porridge made with breastmilk. Five minutes later her face and chest were covered in a bright red rash with white lumpy spots. We phoned 111 as she had no swelling or breathing difficulty and spoke to a nurse who merely checked she was ok and said to keep an eye on her. Now I'm left wondering what caused it. I know she wasn't severely ill with it but would rather it didn't happen again. I am going to stop any food for another week or so but still. Could it be the porridge? That seems unlikely to me but not impossible I know. Is it possible it was the cutlery? Any thoughts anyone? Shall I take her to my HV clinic today? Xxx

bigbluestars Mon 26-Jan-15 07:55:25

How old is she?

Generally root vegetables are a better first food than grains.

Redhead11 Mon 26-Jan-15 08:00:22

It is probably the porridge, although I can't think what it might be in that which caused the reaction. I would definitely bring it up to the HV and GP. It is very scary when this happens and the HV should reassure you. You might be prescribed an anti-histamine to help with a mild reaction like this. Introduce new foods one at a time and don't declare them safe until baby has had them more than once. Once can be enough to trigger the reaction and it is usually worse second time round.

Don't worry - you'll get used to dealing with the allergies and although life will be a bit restricted in some respects, it becomes second nature and allergies are very common now. When DD1 was born and I was having endless problems (she was allergic to formula and to what i was eating and feeding her through the breast milk, although we didn't realise that until later!) I was the only person in the whole of the area where i lived with an allergic child. I didn't get a diagnosis until she was 14 months old and was given penicillin! Schools and so on are really on the ball about this now.

good luck.

duzzlightyearsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 08:00:22

She's 24 weeks.

According to the porridge box the only ingredients are soy and skimmed milk powder confused

Redhead11 Mon 26-Jan-15 08:01:27

It could well be the soy. DD1 is allergic to soy. It was a nightmare until we got that one sussed out.

bigbluestars Mon 26-Jan-15 08:31:11

Soy in porridge? Unfermented soya is not a great food for adults, never mind a baby. Full of hormone type subtances- I wouldn't feed it to my teenagers.

Is this a processed baby food? Best to avoid- just give simple foods at this stage

trinitybleu Mon 26-Jan-15 08:36:00

Could easily be the milk too. My daughter was lactose intolerant and would get rashes on her skin if other babies spilled milk on her. Speak to the HV or book a GP appointment for help / advice.

duzzlightyearsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 08:37:02

It's just cow and gate stuff. Won't be giving it again. DS had it with no problems so just presumed it would be fine

bigbluestars Mon 26-Jan-15 08:43:02

Cow and gate are best avoided, turning motherhood into a profit making industry. Stick to simple foods, nothing out of a packet.

melonribena Mon 26-Jan-15 08:48:15

This is exactly what happened to my ds at 25 wks old.
It turned out to be a milk allergy.
He was diagnosed fully at 12 months and had grown out if by 24 mths.

Go to the docs for advice and don't try any more food for the time being. The second reaction is usually worse than the first.
My ds was fully breastfed so I didn't realise he was allergic to milk and egg!

Good luck, don't worry but do seek advice soon. Feel free to Pm me

melonribena Mon 26-Jan-15 08:49:00

It was the skimmed milk powder in the baby porridge that caused gives in my ds

melonribena Mon 26-Jan-15 08:49:16

*hives!

duzzlightyearsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 09:10:26

Thanks everyone for your replies. There is a hv clinic today so I'll go there and see what they say. Oddly when she was about 6/7 weeks older there aS a brief suggestion she might be lactose intolerance but as she has gained weight well and not been unwell it was ruled out. She has thus far been ebf and I haven't cut out any dairy from my diet so kind of guessing it's not the milk but maybe it could be due to the higher concentration

melonribena Mon 26-Jan-15 15:23:23

Duzz, my ds was ebf and never reacted to the milk protein in bm.

I hope you get sorted

duzzlightyearsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 21:05:46

Thought I'd come and report back. HV reckons it probably is a lactose intolerance so going back to just fruit and veg for now and then to reintroduce dairy in a few weeks and see how it goes. If it's not that she suggested it could be gluten. Thanks for all your advice

gretagrape Mon 26-Jan-15 21:15:13

If she has been ebf with no problem before then it's not likely to be lactose intolerence - lactose is in all animal milk including human (breast) so cutting out dairy wouldn't have reduced her lactose intake anyway.
Could be the skimmed milk but also gluten isn't advised as a good first food as a pp said - forget processed stuff and if you think there might be a prospect of allergies give the same food 4-5 days in a row before moving onto the next.

melonribena Mon 26-Jan-15 21:17:24

Im glad the hv was helpful, but I would also go to your Gp. There's a big difference between an allergy and an intolerance. Cmp allergy is very different from a lactose intolerance.

Im no expert but I was told that an intolerance made someone be sick while an allergy manifested itself indifferent ways, such as a rash/hives.

I'm no expert by a long shot but my gp prescribed ds piriton at 6mths old which we carried with us in case of reaction when out and about.

duzzlightyearsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 21:25:09

Thank you. I was a bit dubious as I did think surely theirs lactose in my milk. Didn't realise hives was from an allergic reaction only. Will monitor her more closely with regards to introducing new foods.

If I go to the gp what will they do?

melonribena Mon 26-Jan-15 21:30:37

Our gp asked us to take a photo of ds having a reaction to take with us when we went for an appt.

So if your dd has another reaction, that's a good idea.
Our gp didn't do much at 6 mths but did prescribe the piriton which made me feel better when trying new foods.

You are also in the system. We cut milk out completely and then the gp refered us for allergy testing at 12 mths old.

duzzlightyearsmum Mon 26-Jan-15 21:32:47

Okay thanks for that. I will give them a call, our gp surgery operates a phone triage system anyway so they may decide no need to see her at this stage.

melonribena Mon 26-Jan-15 21:37:36

Good idea! I hope they do see her.

trinitybleu Tue 27-Jan-15 14:38:36

Like I said, my daughter was lactose intolerance and she would come up in hives if milk got on her skin. And tomatoes actually.

To test for lactose you need to request a reducing sugars test via the GP. It's done on a stool sample.

DD was okish on breast milk and I stopped eating it to reduce the levels, but would react strongly if I had milk or she did ... Like teething powders, in ham I hadn't checked and (later) to 1 square of Aero sad

She grew out of it aged 4.5 smile and was always a tall baby. She put on an oz a day as a baby and is now 7 and 137cm tall (age 11 clothes).

trinitybleu Tue 27-Jan-15 14:39:40

Oh, and DD was tested at 3.5 months old.

babybarrister Tue 27-Jan-15 14:44:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

melonribena Tue 27-Jan-15 15:48:02

My gp wouldn't do the cmp allergy test until 12 mths. It makes me sad that we waited so long when other areas seem to do it so much earlier. I wonder why that is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: