Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gluten free week at Lidl!

(13 Posts)
marriednotdead Fri 09-Jan-15 23:13:52

In case anyone has missed it, it's gluten free week at Lidl. Lots of Kelkin goodies, pasta and cereal.
I didn't know in advance so was very happy when I chanced upon it yesterday. Have munched my way through a pack of the mint choc ricecakes today smile

auntpetunia Fri 09-Jan-15 23:23:56

Oh I was there just after 8am on Thursday on my way to work. The teacakes are amazing. I bought lots of pasta and porridge and 1 pack of Jaffa cakes and the teeacakes. Will be popping in tomorrow for more of the biscuits, they have a long shelf life!!

marriednotdead Sat 10-Jan-15 01:01:48

The teacakes look fab but I'm not great with egg so will have to check the ingredients thoroughly before I decide.

Hope there's some left in the morning...

auntpetunia Sat 10-Jan-15 09:30:09

There is egg in them sad

glutenfreecake Sun 11-Jan-15 09:33:18

I bought the teacakes. they are Incredibly sweet........

Nocturne123 Sun 11-Jan-15 09:55:23

Oh fab ! My friend who has to eat gluten free good is coming to stay in a couple of weeks so I wanted to stock up on some for both of us.Love lidl

Any tips on what's good would be great because I've genuinely no idea!

Superworm Sun 11-Jan-15 13:50:38

Thanks for this, I was in there this week and couldn't find any GF stuff. Will go back and have another look!

marriednotdead Sun 11-Jan-15 15:33:00

It started on Thursday, these type of offers usually run midweek to midweek smile

I have picked up some of the teacakes for a coeliac friend. I tried the cornflakes yesterday and they're no worse than the Sainsbos ones that cost a quid more per packet so I've bought two more. I've had the Jaffa cakes before, they're a little dry but very tasty. Also bought some spaghetti, there's lasagne sheets and penne too, plus Dolmio type pasta sauce.

Incidentally, in the chilled section they do a lamb shank in rosemary gravy which isn't labelled GF but was when I checked the ingredients, it was. Also a frozen paella mix that can be stir fried.

Purely for research purposes, I'm now having one of the Belgian milk chocolate fingers, which look like miniature Time Outs. They're more chocolate (88%) than wafer and extremely sweet. I went sugar free for a while in the summer though and only usually have 70% or darker chocolate these days so my taste buds may be skewed grin

Sure there were some other biscuits but my favourites are slowly making a reappearance now the festive shite is going in the 99p store- Gullon mini cookies. 200g boxes of bite size crunchy vanilla or chocolate heaven. No egg, no gluten, no milk, no nuts smile

auntpetunia Sun 11-Jan-15 16:48:23

If your looking for gf in lidl then their meatballs and burgers are made with rice flour so naturally gluten free. The burgers in packs of 6 Arent gf but the Aberdeen beef and other packs of 2/4 are. And for £2:99 they are gorgeous. Don't shrink loads an taste fab. But don't all buy them at once as I need to stock up. grin

PrimalLass Sun 11-Jan-15 16:54:21

Tesco seems to be price matching. The GF muesli is down to £1.50 and Udi's bagels £1.

marriednotdead Sun 11-Jan-15 17:45:48

Nice of you to all info share, it's very helpful smile

We don't tend to have burgers unless we are holding a BBQ as we can't stand the cooking smell in such a tiny kitchen. I usually make my own as I like adding stuff- not onions though.

Tesco is a bit of trek for me compared to Lidl and Sainsbos. However, as I can't eat dried fruit or yeast, I shan't miss the muesli and bagels. Incidentally, I tried Udi's version of pop tarts recently (in desperation as I'd forgotten to take my own breakfast for an overnight stay at DD's). They seemed SO dry and salty, almost cracker like, but I've never had the 'normal' ones so I've no point of reference. Are pop tarts meant to be like that?

PrimalLass Sun 11-Jan-15 17:48:55

Oh I have those in the cupboard but haven't tried them yet. The bagels are lovely though.

auntpetunia Sun 11-Jan-15 18:11:08

Those Udi pop tarts are foul. Dry and tasteless. But their tiger loaf is fab.

I get what your saying about burgers but I've found them great to take to other people's BBQs. But the meatballs and the venison meat balls are good, and not marked gf but they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now