Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

eczema appeared while on nutramigen aa

(10 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Thu 01-Jan-15 19:37:19

As this is an elemental formula I'm really surprised that 5mo had eczema patches.

Anyone had experience of eczema not caused by diet?

babybarrister Mon 05-Jan-15 18:29:09

you need to return to GP as there are4 some DC who cannot tolerate nutramigen and instead need to be on Neocate which is even more blitzed re cows milk protein....

MoreSnowPlease Mon 05-Jan-15 20:39:19

We started on neocate but he wouldn't take it, he probably would now as they don't taste much different. But this is nutramigen aa not 1 or 2 and is am elemental formula the same as neocate unless I'm mistaken.

MoreSnowPlease Mon 05-Jan-15 20:53:03

Yes just looked again and nutramigen aa and neocate are both amino acid based so don't contain any dairy at all. So he's getting the eczema without dairy confused

CinnamonStix Tue 06-Jan-15 10:30:54

I've been having issues with DS2's eczema. He's been on Aptamil Pepti 1 for just under 2 months now but I can't see much difference with his skin. Not sure whether to ask docs to try Necate or Nutramigen, or to just go back on normal Aptamil?

grocklebox Tue 06-Jan-15 10:38:36

Why would you focus on formula because a baby has eczema? It's caused by a lack of ceramide production in the skin, and the majority of children (and adults) with eczema don't have any specific food allergies. Even those that do, there is no evidence that it causes eczema at all.
If someone has told that you need specific formulas just because your child has eczema you have been given very bad advice.

CinnamonStix Tue 06-Jan-15 10:45:02

I have eczema myself and it's triggered by certain foods, I also have a cow's milk protein allergy. I've found out my other son how a mild cow's milk allergy, so the likelihood of DS2 having a cow's milk allergy is high.

CinnamonStix Tue 06-Jan-15 10:45:25

has*

grocklebox Tue 06-Jan-15 10:52:54

OP asked if anyone has experience of eczema not caused by diet, which would be almost everyone.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 06-Jan-15 11:23:22

He's not on dairy free because of eczema. But in my experience, research and the view of many medical professionals I have spoken to, allergies and eczema/asthma are linked to dairy intolerance. Not that is a cause add it tends to be hereditary but as am aggravator. Which is why I was surprised to see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now