Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should we have an epi pen? Advice please

(16 Posts)
Confitdecanard Mon 29-Dec-14 19:11:50

My DS is 4 and has CMP and egg allergies. In the past his reaction has been immediate vomiting and hives. However, today a milk carton was accidentally dropped near him in the supermarket. A very small amount splashed onto his cheek. His face and eye swelled up and he was complaining that his tongue felt funny. We immediately gave him Piriton - the reaction took about an hour to subside and his eye was still swollen several hours later. Given that this was a contact reaction and none was ingested do you think we should be given an epi pen? I keep thinking "what if it had splashed onto his tongue?". I was hoping he might grow out of it soon but today was quite severe. Any experience or advice would be appreciated. I have booked a drs appointment for tomorrow but wanted to see what if anyone has had a similar experience. It was quite frightening.

bananaandcustard Mon 29-Dec-14 19:48:14

what medical advice have you had to far?
are you under the care of an childrens allergy clinic?

GPs can write out prescriptions for them and refer you to a clinic.

please ring and join the anaphylaxis campaign or allergy uk for further advice as they are a good source of information and support.

Confitdecanard Mon 29-Dec-14 22:01:04

Thank you. We have had the skin prick test and we were under the care of a clinic but we have since moved house. When we moved the new consultant just said to come back when he's five if not grown out of it. I don't think our new hospital has an allergy clinic as such.

Bugsylugs Mon 29-Dec-14 22:13:02

I think you have made the right step booking an appointment with his GP

Bugsylugs Mon 29-Dec-14 22:24:08

Sorry you are going through this keep the portion at hand.

Bugsylugs Mon 29-Dec-14 22:25:28

Portion not portion. are you too far for you to happily travel to the old clinic? If not you can choose to go there if you prefer.

Redhead11 Mon 29-Dec-14 22:36:53

I would ask for an epi-pen. If the reaction is getting more severe, you need one. Forget waiting. If another allergic reaction happens, you need to get some photographic evidence if your GP is unconvinced. And if your GP is unconvinced, then get another GP. You cannot afford to wait. If you are really worried after a reaction, then get down to A&E at once. Always carry your piriton with you - it is at least a first step. the more documentary evidence you have about the severity of the reactions, the less the health authorities have to argue about.

Confitdecanard Mon 29-Dec-14 22:46:50

Thanks all. We have photographic evidence of today's incident. It has been relatively well managed for the last four years but today has really shaken us. It was only a very small speck on his cheek which produced such a strong reaction. Old clinic is a five hour drive away so not really an option! I will ask tomorrow about alternatives closer to home. Thanks again. GP seems sensible so hopefully there will be no need for a fight.

NatalieHarding21 Mon 29-Dec-14 23:45:22

The Epi pens are very effective in treating the symptoms you mentioned as i have had limited training and read on the topic. It looks like all will be sorted and luckily you know what seems to be causing the reaction. Wish you and your family well

Confitdecanard Tue 30-Dec-14 17:52:18

Thanks again for the advice. I felt a bit silly at the GP - he said we would only need an epi pen if DS had to be admitted to hospital. Then we would be sent home with one! Obviously I don't want to be injecting him but I thought that the severity of yesterday's reaction might have warranted some sort of precautionary measure. When I explained the reaction to the GP his attitude was "well yes dear, that's what happens". He said there is no point in referring to the hospital since CMP allergy has already been diagnosed. Am I over reacting or should I push for something more? The fact that he was complaining that his tongue felt funny and his lips were swollen after just a small speck on his cheek really worried me.

pashmina696 Wed 31-Dec-14 08:47:00

You need to see another GP!

ClaireOB Wed 31-Dec-14 10:34:33

If you haven't done so already, I think it would be worth contacting the Anaphylaxis Campaign for their advice - contact details here. I'm not sure if their helpline is open today, being New Year's Eve, but normally it's open 9-5 Monday-Friday. There's also an email link, if you prefer.
hope this helps and good luck.

ophiotaurus Wed 31-Dec-14 10:39:48

No that's not good enough! I would definitely see another GP! What if the next reaction is even more severe?

Confitdecanard Wed 31-Dec-14 10:57:23

Thank you. That's what I said ophiotaurus but he just said "sometimes allergies do get more severe". Glad to hear I'm not over reacting. I like to think I'm quite sensible about this kind of stuff but I felt quite patronised at the GP. Will definitely give them a call ClaireOB. Thanks again.

shelsco Wed 31-Dec-14 11:28:13

Your GP is not necessarily right in my experience about the hospital either! My ds had a reaction aged 5 where his eyes and face swelled and hospital A and E told us we had to see GP to decide if he needed an epipen. GP was reluctant but Did back down when asked if he could assure me that it was only low risk that there would be no breathing complications next time as AC had told me the opposite. I think your GP is dismissive because it is not uncommon to grow out of CMP allergy. Given severity of your dcs reaction, think I would get AC advice then go armed with this to see another GP.

Incidentally, 5 years down the line, just when I was thinking that maybe I had over-reacted to initial reaction and wondering whether to bother renewing epipen prescription (can't believe I had even considered this now!) my ds had a full blown anaphylactic reaction out of the blue to a different allergen. Was very glad we had insisted on epipen!

Dappymummy Fri 09-Jan-15 13:23:09

We had to really fight all the way to get an epipen. GP didn't want to refer us for allergy testing so went to see a private consultant. She was disgusted and promptly referred us back to her nhs clinic as she couldn't understand why our GP hadn't referred us. To start with she didn't think my dd needed pen but she has since needed inhalers for colds and that is one of the criteria for being prescribed a pen. We saw a allergy nurse this week who said we were lucky to get epipen as she has never been admitted to hospital she didn't really qualify, but did say if it was one if her children she would want a pen as each reaction can be different. Keep fighting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now