Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coconut allergy?

(6 Posts)
HB77 Fri 26-Dec-14 14:16:08

Hi, my daughter has several food allergies, dairy, citrus, pineapple, Rapeseed, was just wondering if coconut could be an allergen? Can't really find anything that tells me either way!

MinceSpy Fri 26-Dec-14 16:08:43

Like your daughter I have several allergies. Coconut is a member of the palm family and only very distantly a nut. Contact dermatitis from exposure to coconut is more common but yes a person can be allergic to ingested coconut. A couple of my allergens only have to touch my skin to make an impressive rash. Has something happened to make you wonder?

HoHonutty Fri 26-Dec-14 16:15:11

Yes, it is

HB77 Fri 26-Dec-14 19:55:55

Hi yes, I baked some cookies, they're biscuits that I do for her all the time but this time decided to roll them in desicated coconut, the minute the biscuit touched her lip it swelled n went red, luckily she didn't eat any as she didn't like it, but it got me thinking and because of her other allergies thought id google n ask xx

bananaandcustard Sun 28-Dec-14 00:32:47

coconut in desicated form sometimes has a nut trace warning label on packet.

I would suggest getting medical advice to confirm coconut allergy, which is 'out there' but still considered reasonably rare. iyswim

HB77 Sun 28-Dec-14 08:56:42

Thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now