Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hospital keeps changing appointment

(5 Posts)
ZebraZeebra Fri 19-Dec-14 18:18:49

Just a bit of a WWYD really.

When my son was four months old he had what was obviously a severe reaction up nuts. When I took him to the gp, I was fobbed off and couple with an obvious skin infection and rash since birth - and completely desperate - DH and I paid for private allergy tests. All sorted within half an hour, we knew what he was allergic to (nuts, amongst other things!) and had cream for the bacterial infection caused by the scratching. I forwarded the results to my GPs practice who got him an appointment for more skin tests.

From that we've had yearly check ups - his second one last Jamusry yielded new allergies. We had the third one booked for a year later - so January 2015. Since then they've changed the appointment four times and moved it by three months - otw now 30 March.

I'm getting really pissed off with this whole thing - I was looking forward to the tests to see of he was no longer allergic to the known allergies of a year ago. And more importantly we need to know if there are new allergies, given the difference in tests between four months (the private tests) and 15 months (the first NHS ones we had).

Would you call and complain that put keep being shunted later and later or would you just accept this is part and parcel of public healthcare?

ZebraZeebra Fri 19-Dec-14 18:19:52

Sorry for all the typos!

ChangeYouFucker Fri 19-Dec-14 22:17:33

I think a letter expressing your disappointment and frustration will do no harm.

Our DSs dietician has told us to complain about the lack of allergy service so that they have evidence to prove the need for it. If that makes sense!?

Sympathies though, my sons appointment was recently changed, even more annoying as it involved having to move work about!

superoz Sat 20-Dec-14 12:38:26

I would phone up and ask why they have changed the appointment and you really need the tests done sooner, I did this when they changed dds appointment to 4 months later. The consultant had cancelled all of her clinics for that month but they offered me the first available appointment with another consultant so I took it.

It's definitely worth contacting them, you might get one sooner.

bananaandcustard Sun 28-Dec-14 00:40:01

I agree, phone up explain the new allergies and ask for another earlier appointment. I have done this many time in the past when my multiple allergic child was younger.

If you dont ask you dont get !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now