Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diagnosed Allergy - Worried by Worsening Reaction to Accidentally Eating Soy - Which Specialist to See ??

(1 Post)
RockinHippy Mon 01-Dec-14 09:12:02

My 12 yr old DD was finally diagnosed with a soy delayed action allergy after a hospital stay back in May, it turned out it was causing her allergic colitis & contributing to an intestinal blockage too. She never did have an obvious reaction to eating it & for years we were fobbed off with IBS hmm

She was diagnosed by a Gastro specialist as that's what she was in for, we were also passed over to a nutritionalist, which TBH, none of us have been very impressed by - DH took Dd to the last appointment & both he & DD were gobsmacked at how inaccurate her report to the gastro doctor was to what was actually said.

Roll forward a few months & I am becoming more & more concerned at just how badly DD now reacts to even the tiniest amount of soy.

We got caught out last night at an Italian restaurant - seems the home made Tirimisu wasn't as home made as the waitress thought & is the likely cause - but DD was very ill, very quickly, shaking, ice cold with very bad stomach cramps - she went white, with stomach cramp & diarrhoea before we even left the restaurant, which I initially put down to her getting stressy over my forgetting my purse. By the time we got home she was ice cold & feverish & she I dusted she felt as if she had eaten soy as she recognised the odd feeling that goes with it.

She was ill most of the night & it's the ice cold shock like reaction that is worrying me the most & I feel we need to go back to the hospital for follow up - but who to see ??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: