Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriasis and breast feeding

(4 Posts)
SleeplessSeattle Sun 30-Nov-14 15:30:00

I don't know if this is the right bit of health to post in as I don't think it's an allergy. I've got a 9 week old ds, who I am breast feeding 90%, formula feeding 10% (I'm back at university full time and just don't have the time to express enough for every feed)

Before I was pregnant I used to get bad bouts of excema on my face/elbows but it was always manageable. Throughout my whole pregnancy this cleared up but as of 2/3 weeks ago it has come back with a vengeance - my face, arms, breasts, pubic area, shins and back are covered in angry raised weeping sores.

It's so painful I cannot sleep, I wake up to myself scratching it off and whenever I do drop off my son inevitably wakes up for a feed, and my breasts are so sore and swollen and red that it's also painful.

I have steroid cream but the doctor said they wouldn't give me anything else whilst I was bf - I really don't want to stop but I can't carry on in this much pain; I can't open my mouth properly to eat without the skin cracking and selfishly, I look horrible and cry in the mirror.

Does anyone know any way to try and make it better which I can do whilst bf? The doctor was very much of the attitude that I'd have to suck it up, but I can't do another 4 months of this

FlossieTreadlight Sun 30-Nov-14 15:35:58

I don't I'm afraid but I just wanted to salute you for being so brave. I swear that if men had to breastfeed, shit like this would have been sorted years ago.

imalostcause Sun 30-Nov-14 16:16:32

I have psoriasis too. Apparently it is often the case that psoriasis goes away during pregnancy and comes back with a vengeance afterwards. The stress of having a new baby probably doesn't help.

Have you found out if your psoriasis is diet related ? Often it is and cutting something out could help, although you obviously need to be careful that you still get everything you need. Dairy is one of the possible culprits, as is wheat or gluten.

Coconut oil is very soothing, you can order it online or buy from Holland & Barrett, just gently smooth on to your skin. I also found Salcura's products for psoriasis very soothing, you can buy them online or in some Boots stores.

Superworm Tue 02-Dec-14 23:59:52

I had the same thing and have found breastfeeding had diminished my iron levels which worsens my psoriasis - may be get your levels checked?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now