Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IBS - possible intolerances - what tests should I ask for?

(6 Posts)
imalostcause Sun 30-Nov-14 02:05:30

I've suffered with constipation for years, and with on/off nausea for as long as I can remember. I was always tired, had lots of thyroid tests, but all came back negative. I had some bloating too and the gp said it is probably IBS-C. I've tried cutting things out of my first and through trial and error found I seem to feel better when I cut out dairy and gluten.

The symptoms aren't unbearable, but uncomfortable and unpleasant. My gp just recommended changing my diet, she said I need more fibre, but actually fibre makes me more bloated.

I'm on an extremely tight budget, so a lot of meat and fresh fruit just isn't feasible at the moment. I don't like eggs much, so I'm struggling diet wise and bored of what I seem able to eat.

Should I ask my gp for tests and if so, what sort of years? would it be a blood test or something more invasive?

Or should I try just cutting out dairy and seeing how I feel? The problem is I think dairy causes the nausea but gluten causes the constipation shock

FrigginFuckinFiggyPudding Sun 30-Nov-14 07:57:58

Morning imalostcause

I really sympathise with you...bowel problems are truly awful.

I would go back to your gp and ask to be referred to a gastroenterologist and also a dietician. Your gp should be doing blood tests for celiac.
If you find eating gluten a problem and it's found that you have celiac disease...you can get gluten free products on prescription.
Also if you are constipated have you tried any laxatives, have you also been given any ibs meds, do you ever have diarrhoea.
I'd start keeping a diary of what you eat and symptoms daily. And push for a referral.
Sounds like you've had an truly bad few years with this...
I've been having problems for almost 3 years and no closer to resolving them. Constant diarrhoea, vomiting, pain, exhaustion...

Good luck...I hope you can find an answer very soon.

flowers

imalostcause Sun 30-Nov-14 12:53:34

Thanks smile

I don't usually have diarrhea, but for the past 2 weeks have suffered with it. I'm not sure if it was some sort of virus or ibs. I did take Buscopan and it helped. Normally I can't take it because it makes the constipation worse. I don't take laxatives but take a daily psyllium capsule and that seems to help.

FrigginFuckinFiggyPudding Sat 06-Dec-14 07:00:37

Morning Imal

Just wondering how you are today.

Have you been to see your GP yet.

flowers

imalostcause Sun 07-Dec-14 00:43:44

Thanks for asking smile I have an appointment with my gp in ten days. The diarrhea cleared up through me eating nothing but white rice, mashed potato and banana and drinking black tea no milk for 3 days blush

Repairing the damage done to my rear end blush took a lot longer, as I was really sore blush

FrigginFuckinFiggyPudding Mon 08-Dec-14 19:52:22

Gosh...you poor thing. At least you've got rid of the diarrhoea.
It doesn't seem that there's any quick cures.
I've just been to see my consultant today who now has said that I may have IBS. fhmm
I was told it was pancreatic cancer over 2 years ago...then celiac, then maybe crohn's. Was told definitely not IBS because I'm waking in the night with vomiting and diarrhoea. Who knows ???
10 days wait to see your gp seems a long wait. I hope he manages to get you sorted. You still need to push for a gastro referral.
How are you feeling and do you have any energy to make it through the day. Are you eating anything more...

cake & wine
flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now