Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Baking for child with multiple allergies

(7 Posts)
tkband3 Thu 20-Nov-14 18:06:45

I run a community group in my area baking birthday cakes for children whose families can't provide one (it's called Free Cakes for Kids - I first read about it on here, during Mumsnet Giving Week).

We've been asked to bake a birthday cake for a child who is allergic to eggs, nuts, shellfish and fish. There's no way this child will get a birthday cake otherwise and I would love to be able to provide one for him, but I don't think any of my team's kitchens would be completely free of these allergens.

We don't bake with nuts and would use baking tins that hadn't had nuts in them; we can also use an egg free recipe. If your child has similar allergies, would you be comfortable with a cake being baked for them in a kitchen which has been scrupulously cleaned, but which has had the allergens present in the past. The cake definitely won't come into contact with any of the allergens, but I would hate to put the child at risk in any way.

(My children all have coeliac disease, so I'm not unfamiliar with cooking for special diets, but at least in my children's case, if they did eat gluten by mistake, there wouldn't be an immediate life-threatening reaction, so I really don't want to risk anything.)

ELR Thu 20-Nov-14 19:02:06

I wouldn't of thought it would be a problem regards the egg and as long as you used a tin that had previously not been used for nuts I think it would be ok but would line just incase. I would also use stainless steel bowl and spoons to mix to be on the safe side. Chocolate cakes tend to be better than vanilla without eggs.

tkband3 Fri 21-Nov-14 23:17:05

Great, thank you smile

pashmina696 Sun 23-Nov-14 21:08:04

my DS has a very severe egg allergy, i use the same cake tins for egg and eggless cakes and have never had a problem - i obviously ensure they are really clean and lined. egg reaction changed for DS depending on how much the egg has been cooked, the most severe reactions are with partially cooked or raw egg, not baked egg.

TheannamoLeelu Sun 23-Nov-14 22:08:03

Will the mum know in advance you are baking it? If so can you check with her and let her know your plan? What would work for some families with allergies might not with others, or she might have some good suggestions. Although I'd be ok with it for my child (who has allergies) I would appreciate knowing what steps had been made to check ingrediant, this mum might like to be reassured the same.

babybarrister Mon 24-Nov-14 13:17:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tkband3 Mon 24-Nov-14 15:04:03

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately we haven't been able to bake the cake this time for various other reasons, but all your advice will be useful as I'm sure we'll be asked to bake cakes for other children with allergies in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now