Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

RAST blood tests for allergies

(3 Posts)
AppleYumYum Wed 19-Nov-14 10:22:57

I've got a paediatrician appointment tomorrow for my 9 mth old with awful eczema and reactions so far to cows milk, salmon and quite badly to houmous with his lips swelling up (suspect it was the sesame in it).

My other dc has a CMPA and was only offered skin prick tests. Since doing some reading I would like to have the blood tests done tomorrow as I think he possibly has other allergies and I'm worried about peanuts now as I read that children that have peanut allergies are more likely to have a sesame allergy. I'm feel a bit scared about him to be honest.

Are they reluctant in anyone's experience to offer the RAST tests on the NHS, perhaps they're expensive? Do you have to push? I know they can give false positives but apparently in under 3s they are quite accurate?

ChangeYouFucker Fri 21-Nov-14 20:14:16

My DS has had blood tests a number of times (don't think they use RASt any longer but I can't remember what it's called). He is only just 2. No problems getting them but he has multiple allergies and it was quiet obvious he did.

babybarrister Mon 24-Nov-14 13:26:44

IME it is normal to have skin prick and blood tests down on the NHS. Blood tests are now called IgE tests. Have a read of the NICE guidelines on allergy testing for children to see if they can help. Also have a look at the Anaphylaxis Campaign website which has a lot of useful information about testing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now