Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mayonnaise substitute?

(10 Posts)
LindsayS79 Tue 18-Nov-14 07:29:31

Hi all
DD1 has an egg allergy (ok with hidden egg) and I'm wondering what can be used instead of mayonnaise. I want to use it with tuna etc for sandwiches/pasta.
Thanks

Furball Tue 18-Nov-14 08:01:29

Someone mentioned on another thread, making mayonnaise with milk rather than egg.

I'll see if I can find it smile

Furball Tue 18-Nov-14 08:04:32

it's on this thread though I'll copy and paste below

If you are allergic to eggs or worried about raw egg yolk it can be made with milk to substitute the eggs.
The method is exactly the same. I make it with milk, light olive oil, salt and lemon juice.
In Spain it's called lactonesa and is made in summer when people are weary of consuming raw eggs. Also it is used in bars and restaurants for the same reason.
I have always made my own mayo using one whole egg plus one yolk but my daughter in law is allergic to raw egg so have switched to the milk version and works great.
Can be kept refrigerated for longer than the egg version.

Meant to say, milk should be cold from the fridge.
About 1/3 cup milk and 3/4 to 1 cup oil of choice. A little lemon juice and salt. Garlic may be added for ali-oli.

bigbluestars Tue 18-Nov-14 08:07:56

Greek yogurt? I prefer it to mayonnaise anyway, too thick and oily.

LindsayS79 Tue 18-Nov-14 13:42:34

Wow, I never thought to make my own! Thanks both

couldbeanyone Tue 18-Nov-14 19:49:29

Hi you can get vegan mayonnaise certainly in health food shops and probably in supermarkets too.

rogueelement Tue 18-Nov-14 22:21:52

Ooh what an intriguing recipe.

We use half-fat creme fraiche with some lemon, salt and pepper. You can thin it with lemon or a little milk.

Forr spaghetti carbonara, we fry diced bacon and add to half fat creme fraiche with a generous handful of Parmesan. Keep it below boiling point (it starts to separate and look disgusting) and make sure you use a reasonable rich creme fraiche.

wakeywakeyteaandcakey Tue 18-Nov-14 22:23:19

http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/egg-free-mayo

mausmaus Tue 18-Nov-14 22:24:08

we a vegan one from the free from aisle.
tastes ok.

PenguinLost Tue 18-Nov-14 22:30:56

We use Tiger Tiger Mayo www.tigertiger.info/chinese/condiments/plain-may-o-tsq04. Can get it from the Free From aisle in Sainsburys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now