Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Skin prick testing is it painful?

(9 Posts)
kiwimum4 Sat 15-Nov-14 23:01:57

My DD (5) has to have skin prick testing done as food eliminations aren't working. Is it painful or 'just a scratch' as it states in websites?

OldRoan Sat 15-Nov-14 23:30:06

As I remember it, it really is just a scratch... unless it comes up positive. Then it's just a scratch followed by a really annoying itchy patch!

kiwimum4 Sat 15-Nov-14 23:34:48

LetTheRiverAnswer Sat 15-Nov-14 23:35:55

My 5 yo had one recently and was fine.Id warned him beforehand that it might be uncomfortable but that it needed to be done etc, and I had to hold him to stop him squirming after the first one as he knew it was coming, but as soon as it was finished he said it didn't hurt any more and went to play (he didn't have any reactions to anything though).

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Sat 15-Nov-14 23:49:13

DS found them a little more than a scratch but not really painful. The itching was worse.
Try not to get too many done at once if possible.
At our last appointment the nurse had the iplayer on during the test as a distraction. I think at 5 he'll be fine smile

kiwimum4 Sat 15-Nov-14 23:53:52

Distraction is a great idea I will take something along! :-)

babybarrister Mon 17-Nov-14 22:43:00

Is not painful but is annoying - yes to distractions!

greenbananas Mon 17-Nov-14 22:57:08

DS had lots done aged 5, and he flinched a bit but didn't cry and seemed relieved that it wasn't worse. He was fascinated that the nurse used a perfectly ordinary biro to draw on his arm with.

BL00CowWonders Mon 17-Nov-14 23:07:18

Depends who does it. Dd had one nurse who stabbed and another who just touched the arm. She couldnt believe the difference (articulate 10 yr old at the time)
Doesn't matter whether junior or senior.
V much like when you have blood taken. Some are kind and gentle; others really rough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now