Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this sound like a cow's milk allergy?

(4 Posts)
misshoohaa Tue 11-Nov-14 09:51:49

DD, 5 months, has always been a bonny little girl and generally pretty easy (rubbish sleeper but that's another matter!). She's been exclusively breastfed up until a few weeks ago.

Always been quite sicky but as it didn't seem to bother her and she was growing well, I put it down to reflux and just was always armed with a muslin cloth. She was pretty much sick after every feed up until about 3 months, and now is common but not so much or so often.

About three weeks ago, I decided to start introducing some formula so that DH could do a feed. We tried a pre-prepared Aptamil but she wasn't that keen and probably had 1/2 ounce over a few hours. This coincided with a snotty nose and congested kind of wheezing, at the time I put this down to a little change of season cold.

She is a real comfort feeder and we've had some pretty poor nights of late, so I decided to persevere with the bottle but thought to try a different brand as she was so disgusted by Aptamil. This time I got SMA.

So she had probably 2 ounces last Friday, then again on Saturday and Sunday and it has coincided with a really upset tummy with her pooing every hour or so, a LOT of snotty kind of mucus in her poo and little white grains in it (sorry TMI) and also one nappy had flecks of blood. She's been fine in herself, apart from seriously painful nappy rash which I am coating in that yellow nappy cream and letting her hang out nude. No more vomiting than usual.

Her cradle cap that has been hanging around definitely took on a more inflamed look so I did take her to the GP who gave us some cream, and that has cleared right up but her cradle cap has kind of extended down her forehead and on her eyelids so is almost a cross between cradle cap and eczema/dry skin.

I am still having cows milk in my diet, but probably a bowl of cereal every few days and tea etc.

So does this sound like a cows milk allergy? Should I see a GP or cut out the formula and do a food diary?

misshoohaa Tue 11-Nov-14 09:53:19

Just to clarify I am going to cut of the formula, but should I cut of dairy from my diet?

leekandpotato Tue 11-Nov-14 11:07:37

yes, cut out milk from diet.
go back to gp and ask for a referral. you need to clearly know if this is severe intolerance or ige allergy.

did you take the nappy to gp to show what she has passed ?

ring allergyuk for advice

misshoohaa Tue 11-Nov-14 19:31:23

Went back to the GP and we're sending off a poo sample to rule out any bugs etc, then take it from there. DD still intermittently pooing green snot like stuff.

I'm going to keep ebf and hope we don't have any allergies to contend with later down the line.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now