Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you react to tin tomatoes/tomato puree/tomato powder but be ok with actual tomatoes

(12 Posts)
Pancakeflipper Thu 06-Nov-14 18:49:06

As my long title say.. DS2 has reacted badly when I have made spag bol / chilli/ pasta sauce etc. Common denominators being tinned toms/tomato puree.
Today made a pasta sauce with just fresh tomatoes/celery/peppers and basil and he didn't react..

MajesticWhine Thu 06-Nov-14 20:54:22

That sounds quite unusual. It's usually the other way round, when things are cooked, then there isn't a reaction. Could it have been something else in the cooked dishes? What was his reaction like?

Pancakeflipper Thu 06-Nov-14 23:25:00

He said his tongue felt fizzy and his lips swelled up and went bright red. Gave him prition and it went down. This happened about 5 times ( the first few times it was not a noticeable reaction apart from saying his tongue felt fizzy and I didn't twig what that could mean).

He has been ok when eating a cherry tomato ( not cooked) so I thought I would try making a sauce from scratch with no puree or tinned toms.

oh the joys !

SarahCraine Fri 07-Nov-14 03:58:53

Oh, that's good! I have a niece that also loves uncooked tomatoes and other veggies, rather than the processed or cooked foods. Actually, it's a very healthy habit. So, I think it's better that way. You may try some fresh/uncooked products (safe for her) from the stores, to see if she will like it too.

MajesticWhine Fri 07-Nov-14 06:59:32

He could be allergic to a preservative in the tinned tomatoes. Citric acid.?

Pancakeflipper Fri 07-Nov-14 07:08:15

Critic acid..... ummm that's a thought.
The odd time he's said he had fizzy tongue when eating something with mayo. Just checked my current mayo jar and a different brand and one has critic acid and one doesn't...

piggyboo Mon 10-Nov-14 16:04:01

my son reacts to citric acid. Napolina sieved tomato passata is citric acid free, might be worth a try.

leekandpotato Mon 10-Nov-14 19:28:23

so not egg then?

babybarrister Tue 11-Nov-14 21:10:30

I wonder if the histamine levels increase in these more concentrated forms of tomatoes

leekandpotato Wed 12-Nov-14 14:39:47

if cooked that can change things, for instance my son can never eat a fresh tomato, but can eat a canned one.

I would go for medical advice in case this is not tomato but another allergen which needs confirming.

hwhite6 Thu 13-Nov-14 13:05:53

What is he like with any berries, dried fruits, stoned fruit and things with cinnamon in them? The 'anything other than fresh toms', lip swelling & fizzy tongue sound like benzoates, which are all naturally high in the things mentioned... There's loads more, but those are the main foods he's likely to be consuming.

Pancakeflipper Fri 14-Nov-14 12:35:04

He's ok with dried fruit in that he doesn't swell. Though he cannot eat a small packet of raisins or it gives him tummy ache.

The reactions have come from spag bol, chilli and pasta with a tomato and basil sauce. Common factors paprika, tomato,tomato purree, tomato powder,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now