Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lactose intolerant ?

(8 Posts)
Hardhaton Thu 06-Nov-14 04:05:08

It's 4am so please bare with me.
My number 4 son aged 4 started school in sept and has never wanted milk until all his friends were drinking it, so I agreed and signed the form. Since then every other day he will have diorreoa and smelly farts. He will wake up in the night and he's poo'ed in his pants, eats breakfast ok, and lunch but will not eat anything for dinner telling me he's full. He is the most fussiest eater anyway, the only thing to have changed in his diet is the milk. He was fine over half term when he wouldn't have the milk but now they are back its started again.
Any advise on what to do?

Hardhaton Thu 06-Nov-14 07:24:27

Any advice please

TheMasterNotMargarita Thu 06-Nov-14 07:33:03

Poor little guy.
I assume you stopped the milk. Take him to the GP and get professional advice would be the best thing. At least you might get allergy tests which might help with eating more long term.

MamaMed Thu 06-Nov-14 07:42:59

Definitely put a stop to milk, and take to GP.

It could be lactose intolerance (in that case he should be able to tolerate lactofree milk (try it!)) cows milk protein allergy, for which he would need an allergy test,

Does he have eczema or asthma?

Inkspellme Thu 06-Nov-14 08:55:55

The symptoms match my sons who is lactose intollerant. Drop the milk for about 3 weeks and see if he is better. If you have been meeting his nutritional needs up to now without milk it should be no problem.

MamaMed Thu 06-Nov-14 13:04:35

If he is lactose intolerant, would the best way to test that be to give him lactofree milk and see if he reacts to that or not?

Hardhaton Thu 06-Nov-14 17:38:15

I've written to the school to stop the milk and explained as best I can to a 4 yr old that he's to have water instead.waiting for an appointment for gp now. Does anyone know the test they have to do?

mintyneb Thu 06-Nov-14 17:50:32

They can test an ALLERGY to milk (which is usually an allergy to the protein in the milk, not the lactose) by doing a skin prick test. Unfortunately, as far as I understand the only way to test for an intolerance would be to remove the food group from the diet and see if the symptoms disappear.

You are right to consult your GP as it's not a good idea to remove a major food group without some kind of medical support and guidance

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: