Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Peanut free nut butters

(15 Posts)
RumNoRaisins Sun 26-Oct-14 16:12:19

Does such a thing exist? DS is allergic to peanuts but alright with tree nuts. Loves Eskal sunflower seed spread (calls it his sun butter). I want to let him try hazelnut or cashew butter but am struggling to find one that's peanut free. Anyone with peanut allergic kids who tolerate other nut butters? If so which brand?

Am tempted to make my own but worried it won't be as smooth as a bought product.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 26-Oct-14 16:15:53

I've just seem some in tesco yesterday called wow butter. It's supposed to taste like peanut butter with no peanuts so is safe for school lunch boxes.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 26-Oct-14 16:16:34

It contains no nuts at all. But does Contain soya

RumNoRaisins Sun 26-Oct-14 17:17:06

Thanks. I saw that brand online as well. He's fine with soya but I wanted an actual nut based spread without peanut contamination (I know I'm being difficult!). Wanted a good source of breakfast protein and trying to avoid having too much soya as he already has a fair amount as a dairy substitute.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 26-Oct-14 17:21:08

Holland and Barrett do cashew and almond butters. Not sure about contamination though you'd have to look at the Web site smile

Superherosidekick Sun 26-Oct-14 17:23:02

I think the Meridian ones are 100% the nut they say. You can get in the main supermarkets now. I love their cashew nut butter

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 26-Oct-14 17:33:15

Have a look in local organic / health food shops as they will have cashew nut and almond butter for sure. If you have a good blender, you can make your own... Cashew nut ice cream is fab!!

bruffin Sun 26-Oct-14 17:34:47

Meridian say that they use the same line as other nuts, sesame and peanuts. My ds is the opposite allergic to tree nuts and sesame but no longer allergic to peanuts.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 26-Oct-14 18:10:21

www.carleys.co.uk/index.php/products/organic-nut-butters/raw-nut-butters/26-products/nut-butters/raw-nut-butter/57-raw-almond-butter

Carley's say they are very careful to avoid the risk of cross contamination but they do process peanuts sesame and soya.

Seem to have a good range and relatively widely stocked.

I haven't tried them though.

RumNoRaisins Sun 26-Oct-14 18:17:19

We've got the sesame thing going on too bruffin. I'm used to the incredulous looks when I have to list all his allergies. Thanks for all the suggestions. We may do a buy and try on a brave day.

fascicle Tue 04-Nov-14 16:46:14

Am tempted to make my own but worried it won't be as smooth as a bought product.
Sounds like a good option. My partner makes a seed spread by dry roasting seeds, then using a grinder to break them down, adding oil until it's a spreadable consistency. If you make your own nu, t spreads, washing the nuts first should help get rid of any contamination (that's what we were advised to do with almonds, my son's 'safe' nut).

Sleepwhenidie Tue 04-Nov-14 16:52:01

I think it's pretty easy to make but butters (or milk) with a nutribullet. May be worth investing?

Sleepwhenidie Tue 04-Nov-14 16:52:18

But=nut hmm!

Monathevampire1 Tue 04-Nov-14 17:09:40

The only way to ensure any single nut butter is entirely free of cross contamination is to make it yourself.

If you have a robust food processor then give it a go. Put approx 150 grams of raw or dry toasted nuts in your process and turn it on. At first it be just dry crushed nuts but keep going. You might want to stop now and then to let the motor cool down and you will need a spatula to push the nut mix back down. The nuts will begin to form a crunchy butter but carry on and it will become a smooth butter. Warm dry toasted nuts will become butter a little quicker but should really be much more than 15mins. You might like to add a bit of salt or honey to taste.

Keep the butter in the fridge and use within two weeks to avoid oils going rancid.

Jammygal Sun 09-Nov-14 13:02:46

Wow butter is awesome.... Made from roasted soya. It even tastes like nuts ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now