Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could this be a milk allergy?

(6 Posts)
Vanillaradio Wed 26-Mar-14 14:37:32

DS is 20 weeks old and formula fed (aptimil). A couple of weeks ago he developed a bad rash all over his face. The doctor said it was most likely dry sensitive skin or ezcema and prescibed hydromol. this has worked very well and the rash has almost gone although there is still a little on the cheeks. However for the last few days he has been pooing loads, almost every nappy is dirty when previously he only went once a day. Not particularly watery or runny just loads of it, he also now has nappy rash don't know whether just because of all the pooing. He is also waking at night when previously he was sleeping through, usually at about 4am and has a dirty nappy and is very hungry. Does this sound like it could be a milk allergy or something else (teething related maybe)? He has had the same formula from about 2 weeks (mix fed at that point) and exclusively from 8 weeks with no previous issues.

josephine1986 Wed 26-Mar-14 16:04:11

Think milk allergy shows up in first few weeks, I wouldn't expect it to show at this stage, but I'm sure others will know more...

greenbananas Thu 27-Mar-14 09:34:58

Don't worry about the night waking - it's normal for babies' sleep patterns to change at about this age, and very unusual for a baby so young to be sleeping through the night.

Frequent poo is also normal. I don't think it sounds as if your baby is likely to have milk allergy smile but of you are concerned please talk to your health visitor.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 27-Mar-14 15:06:35

Waking up in the night is more likely due to a growth spurt or teething. My DS has eczema and a milk allergy and has terrible reflux, spent every evening screaming, was uncomfortable and at one point having green mucousy poo. It doesn't sound like milk allergy if he's otherwise well. See how it goes. You could always speak to your HV if it doesn't clear up. Could be a milk bug.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 27-Mar-14 15:07:02

A milk bug? A bug! God, I've got milk on the brain!

Vanillaradio Fri 28-Mar-14 11:46:38

Thanks for the information and reassurance everyone He seems quite well in himself, the hv thinks it is probably combination of a virus and teething, i will keep an eye on him for now and take him back to the doc if necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now