Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Holidaying in France on a df diet

(11 Posts)
quietbatperson Mon 24-Mar-14 20:23:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PigletUnrepentant Mon 24-Mar-14 20:27:20

How long is the holiday?

quietbatperson Mon 24-Mar-14 20:29:25

PigletUnrepentant Mon 24-Mar-14 21:35:35

Ok, this is what I used to do when traveling with DS at that age, fortunately yours has only one allergy so that makes things considerably easier:

Dairy is possibly present in bread, biscuits, chips, some frozen vegetables and some hams and sausages. And obviously, also in yoghurt, cheese, butter, margarine, ice cream, chocolate, etc. whey, casein, anything with a prefix “lact” (lactose, lacto globulin, except “lactic acid”) get someone to translate that list for you so you can carry it in your wallet if you need to check ingredients.

1) Carry the DF milk with you.

2) Products change from country to country even if they are the same brand so, if the allergy is severe, do not risk it, take them with you. I had a padded freezer bag with a zipper and an ice bag to put in my checked in luggage (avoid fruits, vegetables and meats to keep within safe import of perishables regulations), this proved wonderful for desserts (I used to carry around frozen pieces of free from everything cakes, which would go into the minibar on arrival), I also carried other snacks.

3)if you are eating in a restaurant, avoid sauces, and ask for grilled meats, boiled vegetables and believe me, if he normally has a healthy diet, it is not the end of the world if he eats a lot of chips (just be mindful of the salt content).

4)When it comes to allergies, McDonalds is your friend in emergencies, it really is... if you don't believe me pick up one of those paper sheets they put on their trays and turn it over. Everything is categorised by allergens.

5)If your French is not exactly great, carry a card that say:

Mon fils a une allergie mortelle au lait ou des produits laitiers (beurre, yaourt, fromage, crème). Pourriez-vous s'il vous plaît recommander un repas qui ne contient pas de lait ou de produits laitiers? (front of the card)

Mon fils est d'avoir une réaction anaphylactique, s'il vous plaît appelez une ambulance immédiatement (back)

This translates as "My son has a life-threatening allergy to milk or milk products (butter, yogurt, cheese, cream). Could you please recommend a meal that doesn't contain milk or milk products? (front)
My son is having an anaphylactic reaction, please call an ambulance straight away (back)

This is particularly handy to hand to waiters so they can check with the chef. if our son is an intolerance instead of an allergy, change the card to :
Mon fils a une intolérance au lait ou des produits laitiers (beurre, yaourt, fromage, crème). Pourriez-vous s'il vous plaît recommander un repas qui ne contient pas de lait ou de produits laitiers? (front of the card)

Good luck! Have fun

PigletUnrepentant Mon 24-Mar-14 21:37:31

A note on number 3, careful with chips that ma have been frozen, as milk powder is used so the chips don't get stuck together while in the frozen bag.

quietbatperson Tue 25-Mar-14 09:36:41

PigletUnrepentant Wed 26-Mar-14 05:28:50

Just take your own, I'm sure they have an equivalent but, do you want to waste a few mornings of your precious holiday time tracking the equivalent down in supermarkets?

EmilyAlice Wed 26-Mar-14 05:57:43

It would be worth finding out if there is a good health food shop nearby. The Biocoop shops are normally excellent and have a good range of organic and health foods.
www.biocoop.fr

quietbatperson Wed 26-Mar-14 09:19:53

vitaminC Wed 26-Mar-14 21:06:37

Don't panic, France is quite civilised, really grin
I've successfully raised 2 dairy-intolerant kids here!

What I want to know is what is the French equivalent of vitalite?
There is a brand of margarine called "Tournolive" which is dairy free. Larger supermarkets/hypermarkets should have it.

Can I get coconut milk?
Yes, in the exotic food isle of most supermarkets. Either in tins or smallish tetrapaks.

How good is the allergy information on packaging?
Food labelling regulations are among the strictest in the world, so you can definitely trust anything French made.

Is it true that French bread doesn't contain milk?
Yes, unless it's called "pain au lait" or "pain viennois".

Are restaurants generally helpful?
Depends where you are. Dairy is a huge part of most people's diet and some people can't get their heads around you not eating it, but people are gradually becoming more aware - and accommodating - of allergies etc. In cities and touristy areas you shouldn't have much of a problem.

And very importantly, does anyone know how to say 'My son cannot tolerate milk'
"Mon fils est intolérant aux produits laitiers"

HTH smile

quietbatperson Fri 28-Mar-14 16:02:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now