Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

do i sound terribly overprotective? dd wants to go to Leeds festival....

(5 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:09:16

she is severely allergic to peanuts. not a problem - we just avoid peanuts! but she is going to Leeds festival in july - i was talking to her boyfriend tonight and he said that due to all the rubbish that gets left about they all got stung by wasps etc last year.

now dd has never been stung - my mother is severely allergic to stings. given the peanut allergy im a bit worried....

i will arm her with 2 epi pens, and piriton. Ive already talked the boyfriend through how to use an epipen....i will also instruct her pal who she is sharing a tent with.

i have no wish to stop her living her life but im worrying now.....she will be just 17 when she goes. any ideas?
can i find out if she is allergic to stings?

AcrossthePond55 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:35:27

I'd call her GP as far as finding out about the bee allergy. I have heard that they run in families but I am NOT a doctor, only a doctor can tell you the actual facts or see if there is any type of testing that can be done.

I think the bit about training her friends to use the epipen is a good idea! Maybe it would be a good idea if DD carried one in her bag and a friend carried one in their bag, in case either bag gets misplaced or stolen.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 18-Mar-14 00:52:57

good idea - we were told to always carry 2 anyway - if they dont get medical attention within 15 mins they can need a second jab.

she is hugely sensible but stings are an unknown.

Lottiedoubtie Tue 18-Mar-14 01:07:07

grin <whispers> she's not sharing the tent with the frend you know wink

Seriously though, yes of course you will worry but don't restrict her freedom. Just ensure she takes the Medication, and training her friends is a good idea- she can do that surely?

At a busy festival medical attention should be easy enough to come by, all those stewards with walkie talkies and mobile phones. She has to learn to live an independent life and she's not more likely to come accross nuts in Leeds than anywhere else.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 18-Mar-14 01:17:06

ah but she really is lottie! im not bothered and boyfriend stays here often in her double bed - but he is going with his mates and she is going with hers....

i dont mind that they share a bed. theyve been together for 2 years. she is on the pill. he is lovely.
and im not daft! lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now