Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cotton gloves for eczema

(9 Posts)
tacal Sat 08-Mar-14 20:16:17

Hello, my ds has recurring eczema on his hands and wrists. It is really bad at the moment and I am worried that his arts and crafts activities at school may make it worse. The school are being very supportive and have allowed ds to have his hand wash and emollient in school. I am wondering if maybe there are times he should wear gloves to protect his hands. Can anyone recommend gloves or do you have any negative experience of gloves? I am thinking of trying cotton fingerless gloves.

Debs75 Sat 08-Mar-14 20:23:10

I had to wear cotton gloves when I found out I was allergic to starch. I wore them under marigolds so they didn't get manky. They were a couple of pound from the chemists and they were brilliant. Lots of cream underneath then cotton gloves and marigolds and I could peel spuds and even wash the pots again.

Don't forget to turn them inside out so there is no seam to rub at fingers

tacal Sat 08-Mar-14 23:09:03

thank you debs! I will try the local chemists because some of the ones online are quite expensive. that's a good tip about turning them inside out.

MrsShrek3 Sat 08-Mar-14 23:23:11

ditto. debs has summed it up. currently co-op pharmacy and boots do best for using and washing imho, I use the cotton ones for sleeping in (after slapping cream on hands) and also with first aid gloves over for jobs involving water and cleaning liquids / chemicals of any sort. get a few pairs of the cheap pure cotton ones and bin them when they start bobbling as that irritates too.
good luck.

mousmous Sat 08-Mar-14 23:25:28

I would give it a try.
for cleaning I use cotton gloves and those blue single use gloves on top (they are much thinner than marigolds so are better for dexterity).

My mother has a similar problem - she uses cotton gloves, either from Boots, or from the pharmacy at ASDA, where she says the gloves are cheaper and better. She says it does help.

greencybermummy Sun 09-Mar-14 08:02:36

For children Cotton Comforts Eczema Clothing do a variety of sizes of cotton gloves. They were perfect for my DD at school for sand, painting, soil etc. They have good length cuffs which meant wrists well covered.

tacal Sat 15-Mar-14 22:37:28

thank you for all your advice. ds has been wearing his new cotton gloves at school this week... but his eczema seems to be worse! It is probably not to do with the gloves. I think the eczema is so bad everything and anything is irritating it. I don't know what to do for the best. He has dermol 500, epaderm, diprobase, various steroid creams and now cotton gloves. Nothing is helping.

tacal Sun 23-Mar-14 23:07:25

thought I would update this thread. The cotton gloves are definitely helping now. Ds is happily wearing them at nighttime and for activities at home and school. I bought the organic slightly longer ones online, some from Boots and also the local chemist. They all seem to do the job of protecting his hands. It is such a relief to see his hands a wrists starting to heal. Thank you for all your advice regarding the gloves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now