Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergy-friendly food in France - tips please!

(11 Posts)
Auntierosemary Tue 04-Mar-14 19:54:25

We are going to France for a fortnight in the summer with our two little 'uns who between them are allergic to dairy, soya, eggs and sesame. Bringing prescription milk (neocate active) for little little one, wondering about milk substitute for big little one. Anyone know if they have Oatley or coconut milk over there? How about an equivalent of Pure sunflower spread, or Oatley cream?
Any other tips about eating with allergies in France v welcome.
Thanks

Teapig Tue 04-Mar-14 20:54:17

auntierosemary, I have no advice as we haven't done this but I'm following with interest as we plan to go to France this summer. I'm sure someone will pop along with useful insights soon.

Auntierosemary Tue 04-Mar-14 20:59:34

Thanks teapig. In the meantime, I have been on the Oatly site and they have a messaging function and seem to be quite helpful with putting you in touch with local stockists. I'm going to contact them, just as soon as I can work out where exactly (or even roughly) the house in France we will be staying in is!

MistyB Thu 06-Mar-14 12:50:15

I was watching this to see if someone more helpful came along!! I live in Switzerland near theFrench border and shop in France quite a bit, usually at an organic supermarket called Satoriz if there is one near your destination, they are great though its not a national chain.

Rice milk is available in the supermarkets. I haven't seen oatley or Kara coconut milk though there is coconut water and tins of coconut milk it from reading on here, I get the impression that Kara is something different.

Auntierosemary Thu 06-Mar-14 13:59:46

Thanks, Mistyb. That is good to know. Once I figure out where we are going I will search for that shop or other similar ones. Yes, the Kara, or koko coconut milk is a fresh drink that has added calcium, so slightly different from tinned coconut milk. Though if that is easily available in france that's good as we use that in cooking a lot. Thanks for your help!

Waltonswatcher1 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:46:12

Kara comes in a long life version in large and small sizes , can't you take enough with you , are you driving ?

Auntierosemary Sat 08-Mar-14 20:06:13

Hi waltonswatcher, no we are flying and don't have space in hire car for much luggage so will be able to carry some emergency rations but that's about all. Could post stuff over in advance if we are stuck but I'm sure people have allergies in France too so surely that won't be necessary! It's just a bit like starting all over again getting used to labels and brands etc. I'm actually trying to build up a big list of simple cooking ideas using basics like veg, flour, pasta plus a good bread recipe - any suggestions always welcome!

Clara35 Sun 09-Mar-14 08:31:30

We have been to france a few times with ds who was allergic to dairy & eggs at that time. We got cards from allergy uk which translates the allergy information into French so we could explain to restaurants. We did take oatly & pure spread with us although we were in a motorhome & cooked on bbq most nights. A big chain of supermarket in France is Carrefour so maybe you could contact them. They are like a big tesco so I would imagine they have allergy aisle.

Clara35 Sun 09-Mar-14 08:33:12

Also ds was always ok with baguette as a true French baguette is only flour yeast & water.

AllergyMums Mon 10-Mar-14 19:12:13

We tend to travel with Rice Dream and Pure whenever we go. I don't think you mentioned peanuts but just in case they use ground nut oil to fry everything.

Auntierosemary Mon 10-Mar-14 19:48:54

Thanks Clara, I'm going to look into the translation card.
Allergymums, that is a pain! We have no allergies to peanuts that we know of yet but have been avoiding them because I've heard it is a likely one for kids with multiple allergies. Kind of reckon that if our daughter hasn't ever had one we get an extra chance to escape a bad reaction. Will keep avoiding and just have to see how we go with that. Thanks for the tip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now