Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Coeliac disease and oats

(11 Posts)
Superworm Sat 01-Mar-14 22:05:36

Just wondering if anyone has trouble with oats. I've been fine with them for a couple of years but started feeling ill this week.

Having done through everything, the only thing I can think it could be is porridge oats. They are the free from version but I can pin point anything else.

Gomez Sat 01-Mar-14 22:07:46

I am fine with oats - but only once in a blue moon. If I have too much then I get pain and all the rest of it. You know how it works just cut them out and see if things improve?

MoreBeta Sat 01-Mar-14 22:08:01

Lactose in the milk can be a problem?

Also some people say that coeliacs react to the gliadin protein in oats.

mousmous Sat 01-Mar-14 22:10:58

in principle oats are gluten free, however harvesting methods (sharing harvesters with gluten crops/storage methods) often mean that there is a risk of contamination.
but you probably already know that.
your 'free from' oats should be ok, but maybe contact the company if they are aware of issues?

MoreBeta Sat 01-Mar-14 22:18:55

I use guaranteed GF oats from Sainsbury and have no problem but ordinary oats I get a pretty instant reaction.

Could be contamination - without very strict control and isolation from farm to table cross contamination is very likely.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Sun 02-Mar-14 00:12:30

Oats are often grown in a four crop rotation with barley, wheat and harvested with the same equipment so cross contamination is possible.

Superworm Sun 02-Mar-14 07:57:46

They are Tesco free from that have been fine previously. I will check there isn't a recall, as it wouldn't be the first time.

I'm DF/SF as well so struggle for breakfast options. I really enjoy porridge but may have to eat it occasionally instead. It's so annoying.

freefrommum Mon 03-Mar-14 10:46:40

I was told that there is some evidence that because the protein in oats is so similar to gluten that even gluten-free oats can cause problems for some coeliacs, particularly super-sensitive coeliacs like my DD so she avoids them altogether. As you probably know, all coeliacs are advised to avoid gf oats for the first 6-12 months then gradually introduce them and have their Ttg levels retested once they've been eating gf oats for a while so it does seem possible that they are causing you problems.

CMOTDibbler Mon 03-Mar-14 10:56:33

I can only tolerate a couple of portions of free from oats a week

Superworm Mon 03-Mar-14 11:09:01

I didn't know that freefrom about the retesting. My bloods have always been negative so not sure if it would be useful for me.

I think I've over done it with the oats. Now and again is probably best. I feel awful hmm

drivenfromdistraction Tue 04-Mar-14 08:57:03

Apparently the avenin (protein in oats) can cause some coeliacs the same reaction as gluten does. We avoid oats for coeliac DC. I also read an article (I think in Coeliac UK newsletter) saying that it is a cumulative thing, so it depends how much you are having over a period of time as to whether a reaction is triggered - so a tiny amount could be the 'straw that breaks the camel's back' if it is in addition to other small amounts over a period of time.

I love Eat Natural's vine fruit muesli. Gf and delicious with natural yoghurt, fruit, nuts, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now