Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergy alert (Nivea)

(21 Posts)
JennyJoJack Thu 20-Feb-14 08:10:10

I just wanted to share an allergy experience, just on the off chance someone else can benefit from it. I have sensitive skin and have only ever washed my face with baby soap and water. So many times I have been told this is bad for my skin but it works. I have moisturised day and night since sixteen and my skin is good for a forty-something. Last summer I started using face wipes (Simple). I live abroad and couldn't get them so changed to Nivea. I had no problems for a while. I really liked them.

Since November I have suffered with itchy, red and dry eyes. I also developed a large patch of skin near my mouth that is red, lumpy, itchy, prickly and irritating. It is unsightly. The patch of skin flared up every 2-3 days and with it my eyes. I thought the two were related.

Two weeks ago I researched the face wipes and discovered that they contain a chemical known to irritate. Apparently there has been a huge rise in skin allergies from this and other products containing the ingredient. I don't really know why I ever started using them.

I stopped using them two weeks ago. I don't know why I didn't before, but because I had used the wipes for several weeks with no problems I didn't think it could be them. Within 5 days of stopping using them the skin patch had gone completely and I haven't had problems with my eyes for two weeks.

Back to the baby soap and water.

Hope that helps someone. I am not normally so daft. Clearly the wipes were the problem.

sherbetpips Thu 20-Feb-14 11:02:23

In general wipes are not suitable for sensitive skin, both the chemicals involved and the harsh action involved in pulling the wipe across your face. Also many are not suitable for removing eye make up and will irritate eyes. Try a gentle face wash instead as soap isn't great either.

glammanana Thu 20-Feb-14 11:28:23

I used a product by Nivea last year and came out in a hot red rash all over my face it was very scary and for someone who prides themself on my skin I was mortified,I parcelled up the offending product and sent it back to them to receive a letter claiming not all skin types can be expected not to react some are more sensitive than others,I will never use the products again so frightened of a reaction.

JennyJoJack Thu 20-Feb-14 13:20:35

Can anyone recommend a gentle face wash? The Nivea wipes I used were for sensitive skin. I have yet to find a product I am happy with.

greenbananas Thu 20-Feb-14 19:48:58

I had the same reaction to nivea face wipes. I tried them because I have used nivea moisturiser and nivea face wash for years (both great, and I stick to them because most other brands do truly dreadful things to my skin).

I think the problem is probably with facial wipes as a concept, rather than with nivea as a brand.

These days I take my make up off with baby lotion.

greenbananas Thu 20-Feb-14 19:52:43

Oh and in answer to your question about gentle face wash, the nivea does suit me - but it's true that people react differently to the same products.

When I can't get hold of nivea, I too use liquid baby soap - but the nivea is better for me.

ZamMummyInGabs Thu 13-Mar-14 15:29:07

I've always been allergic to everything Nivea. And L'Oréal. What's the "known irritant" called? Would love to know what to look out for as I live abroad (Botswana) & can't get Clinique etc easily. Thanks!

frogmore6 Sat 31-May-14 21:29:34

Dumela mma- I know the chemist in Broadhurst or Middlestar used to do Clinique.

Hogwash Sat 07-Jun-14 14:09:50

E45 facial wash works for me.

Mandyhull Mon 27-Oct-14 12:19:08

Its a chemical called M.I. The leading dermatologists reported an epidemic of skin allergies with mainly women over 40 in 2013 . It is in Nivea for one. Just found this out as my mum got a facial rash and puffy eyes and burning itchy skin almost 2 years ago. Had to have steroids and creams galore. Flared up again couple of days ago when she went back to Nivea for the first time. I just googled nivea and allergy and found a wealth of reports about it. Shame her dermatologist was not clued up on this instead of being so bloody rude and brusque with her!

ArkhamOffett Mon 27-Oct-14 12:21:25

I've always been allergic to anything Nivea, it's very harsh.

Simple do a face wash that is ok, but I usually use their soap bar instead.

roughtyping Sat 08-Nov-14 09:16:32

I have slightly sensitive skin and use Liz Earle face wash. Have seen lots of positive reviews of it for people with sensitive skin, mine is only v slightly sensitive though. It's a bit pricey too.

Loveachat26 Fri 26-Dec-14 23:53:40

I was lazy after a late night on Christmas Eve and instead of using My usual Clarins cleanser and toner, I used the Sensitive Nivea facial wipes. Immediately, I felt a burning sensation. Two days later, I have a sore face, which is very red and itchy. It was definitely those facial wipes that reacted on my skin. Will not use these again for sure.

Superworm Mon 29-Dec-14 14:28:55

I've never been able to use Nivea either. I have rosacea and use CereVe face wash. It's amazing.

mamakoukla Mon 29-Dec-14 14:39:14

You could try oil for removing eye makeup; works brilliantly on waterproof mascara. Baby oil, oils suitable for skin, olive oil etc

mamakoukla Mon 29-Dec-14 14:43:00

Also remembered; DD had skin problems when a baby. I used Aveeno which made it much worse. We later found out she had developed a milk allergy and Aveeno contained milk protein. We are now avid label readers

Lovemyjames Sun 22-Feb-15 19:48:08

I'm so glad that I am not the only one here! My skin has always been lovely, never suffered from bad skin....well, until now! Last year, I changed my face cream from Estée lauder, I was about to go on maternity leave so wanted to save the pennies. I decided to try johnsons for sensitive skin. A week or so after, my skin (around chin and mouth) became red, and nasty looking. I then decided to change face wipes from johnsons to simple. Went to doctors and gave steroid cream, used for four months, cleared slightly but still visible, just not as prominent. The last month or so, it's came back and this time, much worse. I've been told it's dermititis. Something has caused this to happen. I am convinced its face wipes and the Nivea make up remover. I can't wear make up or use any other product until clears up. For now, I have to walk around like a mess sad feeling very sorry for myself

LizzieB4 Sun 09-Aug-15 12:53:45

I wish that I had seen this thread BEFORE I used Nivea Sensitive Facewipes........ I am devastated at what it has done to my face!! I have to go to work looking like I have had a bad Botox job!! My face looks like its suffered from a beating. Whilst realise that people react differently to different products - I am at a loss to see how this product is labelled ' sensitive' I have sent an email to Nivea - just so that they know the harm that they are causing to unsuspecting buyers. I will NEVER buy this product ever again. Lesson Learned! Photos say it all!

darja12345 Sat 26-Mar-16 21:45:18

Thank god I found this !!!Now i know what is causing this.. Had to buy Nivea cleansing wipes on Sunday and my face just got worse and worse... My face looks even worse than on the picture.. Does anyone know how long it takes for this to go over? I had to take days of work, since I look like a monster..

Isiaerin Mon 16-May-16 21:51:19

I used Nivea cream for sensitive skin, which I do have sensitive skin, and within two minutes I had come out in red patches. What chemical could have caused this?

nicolav123123 Fri 22-Jul-16 16:51:05

I have had the same issue with nivea sensitive face wipes. I normally use johnsons wipes and never had a problem but as the nivea were on offer i thought id get them as they were for sensitive skin. Little did i know that the morning after using them my face had swollen up, puffy swollen eyes, red bumpy itchy skin and i could barely open my eyes. I cannot believe they are being sold for sensitive skin its an joke! I have emailed nivea and yet to have a response from them. Hence to say i have no gone out and brought johnsons. I have been washing my face every few hours with cold water and this is the 3rd day now and the itching has subsided a bit. The swelling has reduced allot and the rash has nearly gone. I am just left with puckered skin all around my eyes were it clearly burnt my skin. Im not impressed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now