Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rice or Coconut Milk

(19 Posts)
GeorgeWinsor Tue 18-Feb-14 11:50:50

I am trying to get my DD onto calcium enriched milk to replace her Pepti Jnr.

She would take a small amount of oat milk but that gave her the squits.

I thought I would try coconut milk and bought Coconut Dream milk but looking at the ingredients it has rice in.

I didn't want to give her rice milk as I have heard bad things about it as the main drink for a 2yo so now am completely confused.

Anyone got any experience on any of this, she was supposed to have calcium drops but the chemist can't get them?

trixymalixy Tue 18-Feb-14 12:39:48

No to rice milk. The arsenic content is too high.

Try Koko milk. It's available in most supermarkets.

GeorgeWinsor Tue 18-Feb-14 16:02:17

So if coconut milk has rice in it isn't ok, does that mean I shouldn't give her too much rice in general?

I have been replacing alot of wheat with rice...

Teapig Tue 18-Feb-14 20:13:04

george, my understanding from our dietician is that rice milk is not ok because it is so concentrated but rice itself is fine for LOs to eat.

baby0684 Tue 18-Feb-14 21:17:20

My 18mo has rice milk, as suggested by the drs.

He loves it. But has softer poos.

trixymalixy Tue 18-Feb-14 21:25:47

Baby0684, the Food Standard's Agency advises that children should not be given rice milk due to the arsenic levels. it says it's not suitable for under 4s on the side of rice milk cartons. GPs don't know everything. I suggest you change to Koko or Oatly.

I believe rice itself is ok to eat, it's rice milk that has too high levels.

GeorgeWinsor Wed 19-Feb-14 08:11:30

The Coconut Dream milk in my fridge says it is a rice milk with coconut but I can't find any advice on the package against giving it to under 4s.

Waltonswatcher1 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:53:02

You need kara coconut milk .This has only coconut and is enriched with calcium ,more importantly its full of the fat little ones need.
It comes as fresh or long life . They also do a chocolate one for super yummy special treats!
No way U would give rice milk .

Waltonswatcher1 Wed 19-Feb-14 18:55:28

Oh and as for calcium drops,our consultant is now recommending an over the counter one ,the prescription one is totally unavailable . Will post the name when I have finished feeding dd.

oopsadaisyme Wed 19-Feb-14 18:57:23

I drink almond milk, or did I read wrong is dd alergic to nuts or any components??

Almond breeze do every type of flavour also?

(may have got wrong, but their a great milk/lactose alternative anyway x)

Deb2202 Wed 19-Feb-14 19:52:30

My dietician advised trying to move into the alpro soya milk with the giraffe on it but if that didn't agree with him (as x% of cmpa sufferers also have issues with soya) to use either koko coconut milk or oat milk.

I've used koko milk for my older boy for a while with no problems so will probably move onto that when he's 2.

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 19-Feb-14 20:04:51

Is it necessary to give milk at all? All these "alternatives" are not really milks anyway, not in the true sense, just emulsified vegetable extracts that happen to look like milk.
What's wrong with just making sure she eats a diet high in calcium and just avoiding milk altogether?

trixymalixy Wed 19-Feb-14 20:20:27

Koko is the new name for Kara.

Atthestroke, of course you don't have to give alternative milks, but it's an easy way of getting extra calcium into kids and also helps then to feel the same as other kids at nursery etc who are drinking milk or having it in their cereal.

atthestrokeoftwelve Wed 19-Feb-14 20:31:28

When my bchildren were at nursery there were always a few in their group who didn't take milk- no-one thought anything of it.
I am just suggesting the no milk idea to save some hassle.
My kids didn't drink and still don't eat any dairy or substitutes.

PickledMoomin Wed 19-Feb-14 20:34:41

My DS has almond milk on cereal and as an occasional drink.
I'm sure I read somewhere that almond isn't actually a nut- but please check this if there is a nut allergy too

GeorgeWinsor Wed 19-Feb-14 22:39:43

I would prefer not to have to give her 'fake' milk, which is essentially just a sugary drink, but don't understand how to get enough calcium into her without it.

Waltonswatcher1 Thu 20-Feb-14 00:10:13

Green leafy veg
Tinned oily fish
And a good supplement!

atthestrokeoftwelve Thu 20-Feb-14 06:52:08

Tofu is high in calcium too- and can be used to make puddings and desserts as well as savoury.
Figs, canned sardines, eggs, canned salmon, black eyed beans.
Many cultures don't eat any dairy past weaning age, there are plenty of other sources of calcium.

Waltonswatcher1 Thu 20-Feb-14 10:59:17

I agree that you can get calcium elsewhere but, my dd needs the fat as her diets fairly limited .
I shove coconut milk and coconut cream in with fruit to make smoothies too. She doesn't really drink it ,she prefers breast milk still or a pukka tea .
I will be delighted if she tolerates soya in the future , I would put that above the gluten I think . And nuts .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now