Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it possible to be allergic to yoghurt but not milk?

(4 Posts)
sparkle101 Tue 18-Feb-14 08:42:22

Hi

I've recently started weaning my ds. He is ff on aptamil and drinks it like it's going out if fashion, following his centiles well.

He has been sick on a couple if occasions- the first one lasting about a week and second started today. The only thing I can think is the yoghurt is irritating him?

But can you be allergic to yoghurt not milk?

Any advice please?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 18-Feb-14 10:14:16

Mention this to your HV or GP. My teen DD hasn't had a problem with dairy products but certain yogurts do seem to upset her.

A random thought, I wonder was it flavoured yogurt? A few years' ago I was surprised to hear the pink ones may contain carmine, food colouring made from crushed cochineal beetles.

A very few people (vastly fewer than have peanut or wheat allergies) may have an allergic reaction to cochineal extract. Due to the protein content of cochineal coming from an insect it can trigger allergic reactions and someone told me it is on the Hyperactive Children’s Support Group list of chemicals to be avoided by hyperactive children.

Allergic reactions can include a rash, vomiting, diarrhoea.

Cochineal colour can appear in labelling as:

colour (120)
colour (E120)
cochineal
carmine*
cochineal carmine
carminic acid
colour index (CI 75470)
or even “natural colouring.”

*(not to be confused with artificial colours carmoisine 122 or indigo carmine 132).

I know that some people prefer to avoid products that contain cochineal or carmine. DD can't wear certain shades of lipsticks that affect her skin.

Hope someone else may have other ideas with your DS's issue.

UriGeller Tue 18-Feb-14 10:23:47

Is it a shop bought flavoured yoghurt? It might be an added ingredient that's upsetting him.

In my experience, its more often the case that a child can't tolerate cows milk but can manage hard cheeses and home made yoghurt ( as the fermentation process eliminates a lot of the lactose)

But shop bought yoghurts often have added milk solids, increasing the lactose quantity again.

Tis a minefield!

sparkle101 Tue 18-Feb-14 11:36:52

Wow, complete minefield, thank you.

It was yoghurt in a hipp organic pouch, so the one yesterday was bananas, baby rice and yoghurt. Will look into the ingredients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now