Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Weaning a CMPI 7mo baby (wheat, soya & dairy free!) IDEAS PLEASE?!

(13 Posts)
webminx Sat 15-Feb-14 21:30:06

Hello ladies,
DS1 (3.5 yo) has been diagnosed with an allergic bowel condition and is on a dairy, wheat, egg and soya free diet. This was a recent diagnosis, so he was originally weaned on all the usual stuff including pastas, bread, dairy etc.

His 7mo brother has now also been diagnosed with likely CMPI and we're to follow the same plan for him (perhaps with egg, though carefully controlled).

We had begun weaning the baby already at 5.5 months so he'd been eating (when not rejecting and crying during meals) casseroles, soups, mac n cheese, pasta and cheesy sauces, custards, rice puddings etc. He's now on a hydrolyzed formula (Pepti Junior), I've had to give all my Aptamil, lovingly-prepped-freezer-food and custards to a friend for her baby and I'm stumped for weaning...

Any tips? Any recipes or meals that were winners for your CMPI babies?

dinkystinky Sat 15-Feb-14 21:33:40

Lots of roasted veg, liberal use of olive oil.
Lentil based purees, homemade houmous, with special cornbread crispbreads?

dinkystinky Sat 15-Feb-14 21:35:22

Ps there are some good blogs about weaning allergic babies with great food recipes and shopping list ideas - I found a couple of links here in the huge dairy free thread in the allergy section

DoItTooJulia Sat 15-Feb-14 21:49:15

Beans, lentils, peas, nut butters, tahini and rice are your friends!

Risotto with lentils, Spanish chickpeas, puy lentil and tofu salad, Caribbean stew, pilaff, white bean mash, lentil wedge, avocados, sweet potatoes, hummus, are all good.

webminx Sun 16-Feb-14 13:00:21

Thanks so much all - those are great ideas!
@DoItTooJulia: Would you have a recipe for the lentil wedge, pilaff and Caribbean stew at all please? If so, would be super grateful!

Just tried a carrot and lentil soup for lunch with oatcakes - soup was nommed down - oatcake was rejected outright in the strongest possible terms :-) Launched back at me over side of highchair with admirable aim!

DoItTooJulia Sun 16-Feb-14 14:02:07

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/588639/spiced-vegetable-pilaf

8thday.coop/recipes/caribbean-stew/

you need to substitute the cheese here though

janey223 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:05:43

My top tip would be to introduce 1 food at a time with 3 days between new ones to check for any reactions. Trying to figure out what foods are triggers with a fully weaned toddler is not fun!

Superworm Sun 16-Feb-14 22:21:26

I'm gluten dairy and soy free.

Polenta (the solid kind) is great roasted.

Avocado on jacket spuds.

Chicken strips with roasted peppers.

Fish and mashed potato.

Cottage pie.

Home made gnocchi with oatly cream.

webminx Mon 17-Feb-14 14:41:24

Lovely - thanks so much. Homemade gnocchi made with oatly cream sound very promising, Superworm - DS1 would LOVE those. If you have a link to a recipe, would you mind posting it please?
Made some soups and casseroles which went v well for DS2 but DS1 has just announced he won't eat food that's mashed up (and when feeling particularly annoying, won't eat food that's touching other food on the same plate). Sigh. Made meatballs with mince, rice crumbs and egg replacer, which went well but the sauce they were in was roundly rejected by Mr. Fussypants....

trixymalixy Mon 17-Feb-14 20:51:57

My two loved butternut squash and chicken risotto. It froze reasonably well too.

Teapig Tue 18-Feb-14 20:39:13

webminx, DD is 10 months with allergies to dairy, egg and nut. We have just been told we can introduce wheat and soy so had been avoiding these too until recently so I hear you on the need for weaning ideas.

Some of DDs favourites are:
Breakfast - Banana and blueberry pancakes made with Dove's Farm self raising flour, hemp milk and egg replacer
Porridge fingers with banana mashed in

Lunch/Dinner:
Lamb kofta with roasted sweet potatoes
Fish cakes
Curried cinamon lentil cakes
Tuna jacket potato
Broadbean humous
Butternut squash and sweetcorn bites - the only thing I don't make myself

Hope that gives you some inspiration. I am a fan of the Intolerant Gourmet, check out her blog for recipes.

Superworm Tue 18-Feb-14 23:30:23

Gnocchi recipe I follow is easy
this us the basic recipe

I swap the flour for doves farm. I hadn't made them before but they are really simple and lovely smile

webminx Thu 20-Feb-14 20:03:30

Thanks all - great ideas and recipes! Today we made pancakes, which were a big hit (thanks for the idea!) and a rocky road with dairyfree choc, rice krispies and marshmallows for a treat. Will definitely check out the Intolerant Gourmet site, thanks!
Also, custard made with oatly as a pudding for the baby is proving popular!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now