Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ear Plugs Allergy - Blisters on Ears

(5 Posts)
BreadAndJamForFrances Thu 13-Feb-14 20:37:55

Hi....I have developed a new allergy, along with fish/shellfish/hayfever and asthma/plasters/statins/contact dermatitis/etc.

I decided to treat myself to some ear plugs as DH's snoring has got worse lately. I used them Saturday and Sunday nights (they fell out after a few hours though) and Sunday and Monday I had itchy ears, though this is nothing unusual for me, and slight swelling inside Monday morning, again not unusual, especially after itchiness.

On Tuesday morning I woke up with blisters all over my ears, even inside the ear canal, swollen ears, again, inside too. I also had a blistery rash on my cheeks and chin, and a red hivey rash on the rest of my face, down my neck, on my chest, shoulders and back of the neck, and by midday my bottom was swollen and tingly.

I went to the chemist to get some cream or something, the pharmacist told me to phone GP for an appointment immediately as she suspected a latex allergy.

I saw the GP who prescribed Piriton (4mgs 4-6 hourly) alongside the Ceterizine (10mgs x 2 per day that I currently take) and Betamethasone Valerate Cream 0.1%.

Some of the itching has subsided, my ears and chin are still blistery, but also dry and cracking now. The rest of my face is red and hivey, still as are my neck, back, shoulders, forearms and chest. My throat is sore, my gums and scalp itch, and my ears are still driving me mad! I feel like I have pretty bad sunburn.

I have checked the 'ingredients' and the Ear Plugs are made from Polyurethane, which Google tells me contains synthetic latex.

(I have also asked for a referral to an allergy clinic, GP said yes and would refer me to an immunologist at Llandough, Cardiff when he had remembered the person's name hmm will have to remind him! )

Does anyone know how long it will take for the rash/symptoms to subside?
And if I go back to the GP tomorrow, is there anything else I could try that might work better? I don't really want to have to all weekend in this state if possible.
TIA

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:32:33

<waves> I think it will take a few days for the rash to go tbh just keep taking your piriton and it will clear up, I have a severe allergy although have not had a reaction for years as i just avoid it, please be careful of baloons as well good luck at the DRs tomorrow ,My face itches and i blow up sometimes my throat swells too,

BreadAndJamForFrances Thu 13-Feb-14 21:43:24

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am wondering if there may be another anti-histamine I could try as Piriton hasn't done much for me in the past....although the combined with Ceterizine it is helping. Balloons have always triggered my asthma, but I thought it was the exertion from blowing them up....although using a pump with them makes my hands itch!
Your throat swelling up sounds scary, my tongue and the roof of my mouth swell, but never my throat luckily.
I think I'll go back to the GP tomorrow,
thankyou wine

mrsjay Thu 13-Feb-14 21:46:09

yes go back I have never gone into that anaphalatic (spelling sorry) shock thankfully but I have been in a state once or twice, I have a card in my purse incase i am run over or something and I need treatment so the ambulance people know

BreadAndJamForFrances Thu 13-Feb-14 21:51:57

Until now my fish/shellfish has been the worst allergy/reaction....thanks for the advice, getting a card would be a good idea for me too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now