Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nut allergy/Diam or Dime bar question

(11 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Feb-14 18:56:00

Ds is severely allergic to nuts and had been since his was 2, he's 13 nearly now.

Today at school he said he had a Diam/dime miniature sweet. He said he checked the box twice and it said 'may contain nuts' but none in the ingredients.

He was fine thank God but everything I've googled says they are almond basedconfused although the miniature ones say 'almond flavoured toffee' so possibly not real almonds.

Does any one know? I might email them actually...

NewBlueCoat Tue 11-Feb-14 19:00:25

all the versions I can find (mini, normal bar ,Dairy Milk bar, Cadbury mini Daim eggs) contain almonds.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Feb-14 19:12:26

I know!shock all I can think of of that he isn't actually allergic to almonds, we avoid them all because of cross contamination though.

AcaciaBeez Tue 11-Feb-14 19:17:20

I've never eaten them as I thought they had nuts in :s

AcaciaBeez Tue 11-Feb-14 19:19:19

I've just checked. They have almond pieces! www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265427959

Lucky that he must not be allergic to almonds

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Feb-14 19:27:58

God,I feel a bit sick!

Thank goodness he's ok. He's hugely allergic to Brazil nuts, almonds must be ok.

Think a quick email to the school is in order as his teacher gave them to him!

NewBlueCoat Tue 11-Feb-14 19:49:27

It's good that your ds was ok, but I do think that at 13 he I the one who should be taking responsibility, tbh.

My 6 year old knows not to eat things which have not been passed as 'safe' (as does my 9 year old who has learning difficulties)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Feb-14 20:16:06

I completely agree and usually he is very responsible and double checks as he says he did today. Ultimately he did check whatever sweets his teacher gave him but I'm not sure she should be giving something out which could potentially be very harmful to a known allergic child. Of course if she emails back and says she checked and perhaps they were own brand diam bars which have no nuts then that's fine. I would never go in all guns blazing, he adores her.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 11-Feb-14 20:19:14

Teens are a whole different ball game, at 9 and 6 ds was very very vigilant, now I've noticed he's more slack. Apparently the teen years are the most likely time for reactions as kids get blase.

I've had strong words/reminded him.

freefrommum Wed 12-Feb-14 10:04:21

The teenage years are known to be very difficult for those with allergies as the 'risk taking' behaviours that all teenagers go through can be more deadly. The Anaphylaxis Campaign do a lot of work in this area and run family workshops for teens and their parents. Might be worth seeing if there are any in your local area? Unfortunately, teenagers think they know it all and that they're indestructable!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 12-Feb-14 16:12:21

I doubt there's anything where we live arse end of nowhere but I'd happily travel into London. I'll have a look, thank yousmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now