Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How often do you see a dietician?

(7 Posts)
melonribena Tue 11-Feb-14 14:57:42

My 18mth old ds has a dairy and egg allergy. He was formally diagnosed at 12 months and saw a dietician briefly then.

We aren't scheduled to see one again until he has another allergy test at 2 years old. Is this a normal time gap? I feel like I'd like to see one sooner as I have lots of questions!

Jammygal Tue 11-Feb-14 17:28:09

I've seen two and my son is now 8. Have to be honest and say I found the visits completely useless and have learnt more from forums like this. Sorry don't mean to be negative but they were more interested in whether my kids were eating a varied healthy diet more than willing to assist me in adjusting to life with multiple allergies in my family!

Waltonswatcher1 Tue 11-Feb-14 20:08:16

We are truly blessed it seems!
Dd has dairy soya nut gluten wheat egg oat free diet ,my dietitian is so supportive.
She gives me practical advice and emotIonal support.We have seen her five times in the past 18 months and have spoken on the phone as well .
She keeps a close eye on our diets,I am bf still so am also on the same restrictions.

freefrommum Wed 12-Feb-14 10:07:48

I would suggest that if you feel that you want to see or speak to the dietician before age 2 then you should be able to request this. I have to say that some of the ones we've seen over the years have not been the most useful as they struggled with DS's combination of allergies so weren't really able to offer me many suggestions (they had recipes for milk allergy, egg allergy and wheat allergy but nothing that covered all 3). However, our current dietician has been great and always happy to speak on the phone if I have any concerns.

MagratGarlik Mon 17-Feb-14 23:14:28

As for Jammygal. DS2 is almost 6 now. I lost faith in our dietician when she once said, "I love meeting with you, I get so many new ideas!"

We refused to see her after that.

trixymalixy Tue 18-Feb-14 12:41:43

Not anymore. I had to tell the dietician we saw that rice milk had too high an arsenic content for under 4s.

MiaowTheCat Thu 20-Feb-14 13:57:04

Get in touch about every 4 months or so - mainly telephone reviews now but she'd make face-to-face appointments if requested to do so. Always happy to give advice between those points if needed.

We're very very lucky (she also has kids herself with dairy allergies so could offer some actual bits of practical advice about how to manage it and stay sane with it all as well).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now