Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gluten AND dairy free. Help required please!

(19 Posts)
WireCat Fri 07-Feb-14 18:20:16

It has been recommended by a doctor that my son cut out dairy. He has had a dreadful tummy.
He has never ever had solid stools & we saw the allergy nurse a few weeks ago who said to do a food diary.
Last Saturday his stools became really loose & accompanied by a very sore tummy. Kept him off school on Monday. Sent him in Tuesday but had to pick him up as he was crying with his sore belly.
Cutting dairy saw a slight improvement.
But today the nasty tummy is back. So I've decided to also cut the gluten.

He is 4. He is autistic & I've been reading about the link between gluten/dairy and sensitive tummys.

His food diary didn't give me any clues as his stools are always loose in any case.

I will see how we go on the dairy/gluten free food for a few weeks.

He was unable to go to school at all this week. He won't use the toilet in school (due to his ASD) and he still poos in a nappy.

Can you give me any food guides?

He ate gf pasta with gf/dfa pesto for tea just now.

Many thanks.

WireCat Fri 07-Feb-14 18:20:35

Df pasta not dfa!?

NewBlueCoat Fri 07-Feb-14 18:26:47

if you think thee might be a link between his autism and his gut issues, then you could look at getting a urine sample tested - google ESPA-research and it should come up.

my dd1 was gf/cf for years, and it helped her immeasurably. the SUnderland protocol (gf/cf diet) does also include cutting out MSG, artificial sweetners and colourings and preservatives too.

For many years, the only stuff I bought ina supermarket was fresh fruit/veg/meat. Most other things had too many additivies for dd1.

there are good gluten free alternatives available now - all suprmarkets will have pasta/bread/cereal.

Superworm Fri 07-Feb-14 20:59:57

I've been gluten dairy and soy free for a couple of years now. DS is allergic up dairy/ soy. I'm a coeliac.

Quick staples here are jacket potatoes topped with avocado and bacon, or hummus, chicken and peppers. Tuna mayo and sweetcorn, bolognese - you get the idea.

Polenta and sweet potato both make nice chips as a carb option.

Koro coconut milk is nice on cereal, coffee etc. Nut milks are pretty good too. Both make nice custard.

Co-op chipolatas (?sp) are GF. Pure DF spread make great mash.

Charmingbaker Fri 07-Feb-14 22:22:12

The Intolerant Gourmet website and cookbook are dairy and gluten free.
Pinterest is great for collecting recipes, you'll find lots of dairy and gluten free boards and can start to collect recipes that your DS might like.
It's really easy to make your own chicken goujons and fish fingers. Just dip your chicken/fish in GF flour, then egg, then GF breadcrumbs (Genius is GF and DF)
Shepards pie / stews / roasts are all easy to make GF, use DF spread for mash and make sure your stock is GF (Marigold bouillon in the orange tub is GF and DF)

WireCat Sat 08-Feb-14 09:54:25

Thank you all.

He is also intolerant to tomatoes & peppers.

Also, due to his ASD he won't eat wet food. hmm

He has eaten some gf toast with df spread this morning.

Can he have rice crispies/corn flakes?

NewBlueCoat Sat 08-Feb-14 12:21:06

Depends on the brand. Kellogs have gluten in them (possibly from barley? Can rembering as haven't bought th for years!)

Whole Earth cornflakes are ok, and Nature's Path (I think, again haven't checked for a while)

MistyB Mon 10-Feb-14 11:12:54

A few books that might be worth a read:

Gut and the Psychology Syndrome

Nourishing Traditions

In my experience, there is no one solution for every person but you will find the combination that works for your son.

In addition to excluding grains (I can't remember exactly what Dr CMB says but rice and Quinoa are usually OK), dairy, deadly nightshade (tomatoes, peppers) and yeast, it would be worth supplementing with pro biotics, fatty acids and vitamin A, C and D.

And no to any malted cereals, (Kellogs rice crispies and corn flakes are as the malt is from Barley, DS1 was Ok with this, DS2, not so much!) Stick to rice cereals if you can.

WireCat Mon 10-Feb-14 14:38:57

Thanks Misty.
Oddly enough he is intolerant to peppers & tomatoes.

The next few weeks will be a learning curve.

notapizzaeater Mon 10-Feb-14 17:52:40

If you pm me i Will send you this years coeliac food directory out. Mine has just arrived but we don't use it, I read every label every time instead.

WireCat Tue 11-Feb-14 22:50:44

Thanks notapizzaeater x

I won't have the directory though as I'm also cutting out dairy x

Yesterday he had a solid stool.

Today he had bad tummy & loose stools.

Will keep up with this exclusion of foods for how & if no changes will stop.

MistyB Wed 12-Feb-14 12:49:38

What did he eat in the last 24 hours?

Add carrot juice if you can.

VikingLady Sat 15-Feb-14 20:34:37

The paediatrician told us that it can take up to 4 weeks of df/gf to make a noticeable difference, so maybe that's why it is not clear yet. Good luck!

WireCat Tue 18-Feb-14 16:35:05

I have been to the doctors regarding this again.

I've been told not to cut anything from his diet.

I've got sample pots to send off urine/stool.

Ds will also have a blood test once these results are back.

Thanks all.

GeorgeWinsor Tue 18-Feb-14 17:09:41

My DD is egg, dairy and gluten free. I also only give citrus, berries, tomatoes, peppers, nuts and oats in small portions.

She hadn't had a solid nappy from birth until I took this approach, but after 2yrs of dire rear is now fairly normal!

A GP is unlikely to tell you to cuts out food groups without medical evidence of an allergy but that doesn't mean you can't experiment if you feel your DS may benefit.

Staples I use include, fresh meat, sliced cooked meat, fresh fish, tinned cooked fish, frozen prawns, individual bags of nuts or raisins, Tyrells pop corn, plain hula hoops, Nature's Store rice cakes, Nairns oat cakes, DS crispbread crackers, Doves farm non wheat flour, Sainsburies ff pasta, Co op red bag oats, Natures path cereal, Pure spread and loads of different fruit and veg.

HTH

WireCat Tue 18-Feb-14 18:05:02

Thanks Georgewinsor

drivenfromdistraction Wed 26-Feb-14 10:44:04

Have you done a coeliac test?

sunshinemmum Sat 01-Mar-14 11:04:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sunshinemmum Sat 01-Mar-14 11:07:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now