Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy & Soya free 'cheese' sauce recipe

(8 Posts)
OutNumberedByBlue2 Fri 07-Feb-14 09:07:20

Does anyone have a good dairy & soya free 'cheese' sauce recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? Ds2 is cmpi & we're not sure yet if he reacts to Soya so we've been advised to be very careful introducing it to spot any reaction.

I'd really like to make him things like fish pie but want a tried & tested recipe so I don't put him off! grin

PourquoiPas Fri 07-Feb-14 09:17:28

We use vitalite and almond milk to make a normal white sauce recipe (well I tend to do it in the microwave cos I'm lazy!) and as DD luckily is ok with sheeps cheese we flavour it with pecorino.

OutNumberedByBlue2 Tue 11-Feb-14 12:53:57

Thanks for that. At the moment we're on a strict dairy free & soya free & anything else that could trigger such as goat & sheeps milk as per the dieticians instructions so that as we introduce anything we'll know exactly what he can & can't tolerate. The only things we're trying at the moment are aptamil pepti & some soya yoghurt as a starting point - massively exciting I know grin

BagOfBats Tue 11-Feb-14 13:00:12

My DS2 is similar, no dairy, no tomatoes, no eggs... It's really hard! He is thankfully ok with soy so has yoghurts and soy milk on his cereal. I have found that a tiny bit of Parmesan is ok with him (microscopic quantities!) but I must ask our dietician about sheep and goats cheese- sounds totally stupid but I just hadn't thought of trying those! After 14 long months of working out his intolerances, and him being quite poorly in the process, I'm always a bit reluctant to try something new!! A real shame as he is a total guzzler and would eat anything he is offered! Hope you find some recipes, I'll keep an eye on here for suggestions!

OutNumberedByBlue2 Tue 11-Feb-14 15:01:35

I know exactly what you mean Bagofbats. It's taken us 10.5 months to finally get his reflux & constipation under control & someone to take us seriously! I really want him to enjoy food. He's fine with oatly & coconut milk so had thought of using them to make a plain white sauce to go in things like fish pies but thought it would be quite bland without the cheese so wanted an alternative.

BagOfBats Tue 11-Feb-14 17:44:02

I give my boy such bland food! But he loves it, I guess it's all he knows. He's currently eating the plainest shepherds pie known to man! I find it hard because I don't like (and don't have the time) to cook 2 completely different things for ds1 (normal diet) and ds2, so I think poor DS1 gets a raw deal as he is used to nice cheesy sauces etc but gets whatever ds2 gets now with a bit of cheese thrown on top if he's lucky!

MagratGarlik Mon 17-Feb-14 23:18:54

Make a plain white sauce with oatly, then add a little mustard, which gives a slight "cheese" flavour. If it is going as a sauce on lasagne or similar, add a few dried herbs to it too.

If you want a creamier sauce, use oatly cream.

stationtostation Wed 19-Feb-14 17:13:13

I have just made a soya and dairy free mac cheese tonight, turned out better than expected. I ordered the cheese from Goodness direct, the Cheddar style cheezly block and the ready grated Veganic pizza cheese for on top.
www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/CDACH-Non_dairy_Cheese.html
Made white sauce with Oatly milk and cornflour and chopped the cheezly finely and it melted ok, you do not need a lot it is quite salty. Then when cooked sprinkled with the grated one. The kids loved it and I even managed to enjoy it. (Not as good as cheese but the kids have no choice, allergies)

Whatever you do DO NOT eat it straight from the packet and expect cheddar taste, I thought it was vile, too salty and strong, but ended up really good in the sauce if you didn't use too much. The grated one is good though, milder.

If you do decide to order be aware they make you order 6 items from the chiller dept before they will post chilled stuff, perhaps it can be ordered into Holland & Barretts, I haven't asked them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now