Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen lips, hives, itching

(5 Posts)
TheGreatHunt Wed 05-Feb-14 19:17:02

Ds had a reaction today - possibly to some cheese although had just had flapjacks with nuts in (he'd never had these before but has had nuts although not sure which kind).

Freaked me out a bit - his lips swelled, he was itching around the mouth and had hives. I suspected the cheese as he spat it out almost immediately after putting it in (it wasn't our usual cheese).

Anyway, NHS direct said I should get piriton and go to the GP.

I just wondered if anyone had experience of this - could it be an allergy, could it get worse? Ds is 4, has dairy a lot but not strong cheddar as DH reacts to it (tingly numb face). He's had a bit of peanut butter before so I don't think it's that.

Can allergies appear out of the blue? Ds has ezcema, I have hayfever so it's possible.

Will the GP be any good or do I need to push for referrals etc?

Thanks

SavoyCabbage Wed 05-Feb-14 19:31:16

My dd had a reaction to peanuts at age four. I didn't know it could happen but it definitely did.

ThePiritonPosse Wed 05-Feb-14 20:56:50

Allergies can definitely appear out of the blue, go to the GP and take it from there. Good luck.

TheGreatHunt Wed 05-Feb-14 20:59:41

Ok thanks both! Am a bit sad

SavoyCabbage Wed 05-Feb-14 21:21:55

So was I. And convinced that there was nothing wrong with her and that the tests would come out negative.

There is lots of support so don't feel overwhelmed alone. I thought it was the end of the world when I did my first supermarket shop after dds allergy test, but I barely think about it now. It's just a part of our lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now