Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Writing an info sheet to give to others when they look after your DC?

(12 Posts)
ThePiritonPosse Tue 04-Feb-14 09:50:36

Has anyone done this? I'm thinking of writing an info sheet detailing what is and isn't safe.

I'm not sure what format to put it in, what are yours like?

GingerMaman Tue 04-Feb-14 10:25:20

This is useful. What kind of things would you put on there?

ThePiritonPosse Tue 04-Feb-14 11:17:11

So far I've wrtten:

Name
Date of Birth

Allergies & Intolerances

Egg
DD is allergic to eggs, both the white and the yolk.
She swells up on contact, meaning her face, lips and throat swell if she eats something with it in (eg. cake or sausage roll) and her skin will swell if she touches it (eg. raw cake batter). This is usually accompanied with hives.
Following the swelling and hives, DD usually experiences upset stomachs and 4-7 days of diarrhoea.

All food items that contain EGG must be avoided

Cow’s Milk Protein
DD is intolerant to Cow’s Milk Protein (not a lactose intolerance)
If she eats any she experiences upset stomachs and 4-7 days of diarrhoea.

DD can tolerate milk as an ingredient baked into an item, eg bread or biscuits.
She can’t have milk, yoghurts, margarine, butter, cheese, chocolate

Soya Intolerance
DD is intolerant to Soya
If she eats any she experiences upset stomachs and 4-7 days of diarrhoea.

DD can tolerate soya as an ingredient and baked into an item, eg bread or biscuits.
She can’t have soya substitutes such as milks, yoghurts, margarine, cheeses or soya ice cream and deserts.

Treatment

DD carries...... <insert details of any medicines here>

If a reaction happens...... <insert details of medical plan here>
In cases where her throat and lips are swelling she needs to go to A&E, or call 999.

Problem Foods

All food items need to be checked, but some that we have slipped up with before are worth noting:

“Dairy free” items – These should be milk free, but it doesn’t mean they’ll be egg free
Sandwiches – It is easy to forget about the dairy spread/butter on a sandwich
Crisps – Cheesy flavoured ones have milk powder on them
Pasta – Need to check if durum wheat pasta or egg pasta
Fishfingers – Some have egg in to bind the breadcrumbs or in the batter
Sausages / Burgers – Egg is sometimes used to bind the meat together
Cookies/Biscuits – Most biscuits are fine (rich tea, malted milk) but some contain egg, particularly soft, chewy cookies
Cake – Even cakes in the free-from section of the supermarket have egg in them, especially the gluten free ones
Chewy sweets / Marshmallows – Some sweets, like Chewits, have egg in them
Baked goods – Things like croissant and pasties usually have egg either as an ingredient or on them as a glaze

GingerMaman Tue 04-Feb-14 11:41:23

That's a useful allergy sheet.

trixymalixy Tue 04-Feb-14 22:53:54

I got an allergy action plan from an American website that lists possible reaction symptoms and whether to give antihistamine or use epipen. Will see if I can find it.

cate16 Tue 04-Feb-14 23:10:59

As someone that runs a preschool, I would love to be given this info.
If given a choice I'd like it in a table format - quick to read.
allergen - symptoms - what to do - safe foods - problem foods.

TheseAreTheJokesFolks Tue 04-Feb-14 23:24:23

Blimey that must be a nightmare until you are used to it, particularly if going out. As a teacher I would want that for any residentials.
As a fellow-parent I would simply want a list of what she can eat

eg NO EGG NO MILK/DAIRY
likes tuna sandwiches - NO BUTTER
likes spag bol - durum wheat NOT egg pasta
likes fruit salad
Has own soya biccies Drinks water/Schorle/juice
I know how to use an epipen - but if I didn't I would have appreciated you showing me just in case.

ThePiritonPosse Tue 04-Feb-14 23:46:01

Thanks, I've tried to write it so that one sheet can be given to school, after school club and mums that have her over for playdates or parties.

Will have a think about putting it into table format.

I'd there anything I missed off? On my version I've also included contact numbers for DH and I.

Meglet Tue 04-Feb-14 23:59:18

Don't the hospital automatically pass on your DC's allergy details to nursery / school? Ours did, and they send a nurse in at the start of term to train everyone.

I need to sort out something for friends though. I've laminated all the allergy sheets and what to do in case of anaphylactic shock, but I should add a more personalised list of DS's allergies. Not that he goes on playdates without me, I don't trust people enough sad.

ThePiritonPosse Wed 05-Feb-14 00:28:18

I signed the thing to say that they can ask our GP for medical details but if they did anything about it you wouldn't know. They were all set to give her Soya milk last time they were feeding her after a miscommunication between them and I so they obviously don't check all the info I gave them on the forms I had to fill in at the start of the year.

Now, each time I fill in the permission slips that ask you if your child has any allergies I'm going to tick yes, then just put "egg, milk, soya - see attached sheet" and staple a copy to the permission slip.

Have also glued a copy in her planner for quick reference for teachers or playdate mums.
Trying to get organised because she has lots of parties and things coming up. So far have only left her somewhere 3 times with other mums.

ThePiritonPosse Wed 05-Feb-14 00:31:09

She will be starting after school club soon, which I'm a little nervous about. Partly, that is what prompted me to get something ready to give the staff, especially after the soya incident at the primary school I mentioned.

babybarrister Thu 06-Feb-14 17:44:00

I have done one which I do give out and which appears to be very welcome by all. It is not for school but for friends.

It has our telephone numbers on it and a list of easy things he can eat as well as what he cannot eat

I also put links to websites to show epipen use

Finally I do emphasise that reactions are fortunately rare ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now