Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pine nuts

(4 Posts)
weebarra Tue 28-Jan-14 14:37:16

Last night I made a pesto lasagne topped with pine nuts. Around ten mins after eating it, DS1 (6) came up in a blotchy, red, itchy rash, mainly over his trunk.
He has had pine nuts before but in much smaller quantities than yesterday. He is allergic to penicillin but nothing else that I know of. Everything else in the lasagne is stuff he's had lots of before.
Assuming it is an allergy, should I take him to the GP or just avoid pine nuts?

TheGreatHunt Wed 05-Feb-14 21:58:46

GP! Why take the risk?

Meglet Wed 05-Feb-14 22:03:10

GP.

7yo DS is severely allergic to pine nuts. All his other nut allergies have almost faded away, but pine nuts haven't. With luck they will refer him for skin prick testing (hospital paediatric unit) and provide epi-pens if he has a severe allergy.

freefrommum Thu 06-Feb-14 09:18:21

Just wanted to point out that pine nuts are not in fact nuts at all, they are seeds. It's still possible to be allergic to them but most people allergic to nuts can still eat pine nuts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now