Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When do you stop giving Neocate (or similar non-dairy formula)?

(12 Posts)
anniemac Tue 30-May-06 14:54:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

foxinsocks Tue 30-May-06 14:59:55

we were advised to give dd Nutramigen till she was 2. At 2, they called her in for a milk food challenge - she failed the first one but passed the second time. We kept her on the nutramigen till then.

I would ask your GP/paed the next time you have an appointment because they will probably want to challenge her with milk at some point to see if she has outgrown it.

CADS Tue 30-May-06 15:13:48

You can get Neocate Advance which is the follow-on formula for over 1s. It comes in Banana flavour too. Your should be able to get it on prescription.

http://www.shsweb.co.uk/neocate/prof/docs/advance.pdf

anniemac Tue 30-May-06 15:26:25

CADS Tue 30-May-06 15:32:07

Pleasure. Hope she passes the milk challenge.

anniemac Tue 30-May-06 15:38:22

TheHun Tue 30-May-06 15:45:30

dd was intollerant to cows milk protein, she was on nutramigen and had a controlled milk challenge at childrens outpatient ward which I continued at home, she was 13 mths and passed, then went on to cows milk. You really shouldn't have to do the whole thing at home yourself. dd had 'a line' put in her hand in case of a severe reaction so they could give her necessary medication. Insist on a controlled challenge at hospital or allergy clinic. Good luck.

anniemac Tue 30-May-06 15:55:11

TheHun Tue 30-May-06 16:02:30

funny thing is, dd loves dairy foods especially milk and yogurt but she won't drink cold milk. Strange how things turn out. I'm expecting baby no 2 (39+3), hoping no probs with this baby and milk, the cows milk protein affected dd through my breast milk so I was dairy free for 9 months whilst I fed her. Good thing is I'll recognize symptoms staight away if it does happen and not have to work out diagnosis.

anniemac Wed 31-May-06 11:06:42

foxinsocks Wed 31-May-06 14:32:05

we were advised to wait till 2 (to do the challenge) - something to do with this being the age when most children who are going to outgrow the allergy have done so. See what the GP/paed say.

anniemac Wed 31-May-06 16:50:27

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: