Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does this sound like a nut allergy? :o(

(29 Posts)
Greensleeves Sun 28-May-06 21:58:26

My ds2 is 20mo and I've noticed since he was born that he's prone to little patches of eczema which he scratches. A couple of days ago after having a sesame seed chew (organic thing from a hippy market) he developed what looked like a patch of nettle rash on one side of his face. He had had sesame snaps before but I had never noticed this reaction to them. Then this evening when I undressed him I found a rash of quite large red bumps, like bites but without puncture marks, all over his legs and bottom. Nothing on his back or chest, but the patch on his face had come up again and he'd scratched it. He did have a brownie type thing with nuts in it on the bus, on the way back from our walk on Dartmoor - I don't normally let them have that sort of thing but we've got a friend staying for the weekend and I've let them have more treats than usual... it may have nothing to do with nuts/seeds but I can't think of anything else. I've spoken to the out of hours doctor and he said it could well be an allergy reaction and as long as he isn't ill "in himself" I should just take him to my GP on Tuesday.

Any mums with allergic kids - did yours develop like this? Does it sound like an allergy, is it my fault for letting him have nuts, and can I expect it to get worse?

Poor ds2 has had nothing but health problems since he was born, he is turning my hair white

misdee Sun 28-May-06 22:00:42

what was his wearing? am thinking dartmoor may be a possible place for reactions.

possibly a nut/seed reaction as well tho.

nothercules Sun 28-May-06 22:01:30

Sounds like a reaction to me. Is it in your family?

Greensleeves Sun 28-May-06 22:03:06

He was wearing jeans... hasn't been muddy or wet or in contact with anything odd. It isn't in my family as far as I know, milk and gluten allergies are, but eczema isn't, and he has that. I'm really worried that I've given him a life-long problem because I stupidly let him eat nuts and seeds.

misdee Sun 28-May-06 22:04:48

greensleeves, i have been extra careful with my dd3, she is till breastfed at 15months, weane dher onto the correct foods at the right times etc, she still has an egg allergy and eczema. its not your fault.

i was going to risk peanut butter with her the other day but i just couldnt do it.

bunny3 Sun 28-May-06 22:05:06

hives or urticaria

my ds gets them, always an allergic reaction.

nothercules Sun 28-May-06 22:05:16

I dont believe you can get allergies so simply. He may have the allergy and it's now been triggered. Push to get him refered to an allergy consultant via your gp - in a hospital rather than clinic from the yellow pages.
It's better you know. there is usually a wait but if you pay around 100 pounds you can get seen straightaway normally.

bunny3 Sun 28-May-06 22:05:55

no it's not your fault, dont blame yourself

sandradee Sun 28-May-06 22:08:45

You can have a blood test to test for allergies including nuts - my son had one recently at the evelina children's hsopital in London so I know it's available. It was free as well.

They can test for pollen, wheat, cats, all kind of things.

Of course there is no guarantee if it comes back negative that they may not develop an allergy in the future bt at least you would know for now. (Personally, I think the rash sounds a bit suspicious and until you know I'd be cautious of nuts and seeds)

Greensleeves Sun 28-May-06 22:14:46

When he was a few months old he was dramatically ill, we nearly lost him. I was accused of not feeding him and we were summoned to see the paediatrician and interrogated. He turned out to have contracted respiratory synctial virus in the hospital after birth, causing temporary lactose and milk protein intolerance, which explained the projectile vomiting and constant coughing I had been telling them about for weeks . As we were watching his strawberry mark rapidly growing and forcing his eye out of shape at the same time, it was horrendously stressful and we spent more time in hospitals than at home. At that time they tested him for everything under the sun, rast tests for allergies, sweat test for cystic fibrosis, blood tests for leukaemia and everything else they could think of. Everything came back normal... could he have tested negative for allergies then and then developed one now? I know I sound irrational but I am having a panic attack and just feel at the end of my tether.

Camberwellbeauty Sun 28-May-06 22:17:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bunny3 Sun 28-May-06 22:20:35

also, arm yourself with piriton. We have bottles of the stuff

Camberwellbeauty Sun 28-May-06 22:24:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Greensleeves Sun 28-May-06 23:12:21

Is piriton a tablet, or a spray, or a syrup? Can I use it with a 20mo? I am very new to all this.

kalex Mon 29-May-06 17:29:25

GS, you can get piriton in Syrup and Tablets.

DS is allergic to peanuts, and like your DS also has excema, I also feel responsible (ate Peanut Butter althrough pregnancy . But DD is not and I ate all the same things. Don't blame yourself but do stock up, I have a bottle at all the houses I go to regualarly. Best Friend - mum - nursery, and when he goes to school in August, they will have one too.

Greensleeves Mon 29-May-06 18:46:53

Thanks. I'm going to take him to the GP tomorrow. Oddly enough the red hives all over his legs and bum had gone this morning. I was surprised, they looked really nasty last night.

kalex Mon 29-May-06 18:54:22

DS took 2 days to get over the hive etc the 1st time, Hence the reason we ended up in Ninewell. Sounds like an allergy but not anything live threatening (thank god). Still good to get him seen.

Let us know how 2morrow goes

FrannyandZooey Mon 29-May-06 18:55:22

Oh Greeny, just about to put ds to bed and saw this.

will write more later

foxinsocks Mon 29-May-06 19:41:47

greensleeves, I wouldn't panick just yet. I posted a while ago convinced that dd had a reaction to almonds (and she's a child who had a milk and soya (both outgrown) and egg allergy so you'd think I would know how to spot the signs!). I was convinced it was a nut problem and was quite worried. She got hives around her mouth and was very itchy.

However, before I took her to the doc, I thought I would try almonds just one more time because I wasn't 100% convinced. She had them (and has had other nuts) and was completely fine, no reaction at all.

I don't know what set her off the first time but she does get hayfever at this time of year so it could have been that (especially when people mow their lawns...grass pollen etc.).

If it was on his legs, I would think it could have been something from your walk on Dartmoor as misdee thought? I would get some Piriton for your medicine cabinet anyway (always good to have it on hand).

FrannyandZooey Mon 29-May-06 21:16:20

I am not an expert on this, but through having friends whose children are allergic, I would second what people have said about getting skin prick tests and meanwhile being paranoid about what he eats. The skin prick tests sound as if they will be dreadfully traumatic but are not - it's just like a tiny graze, well not even that really, they more or less just touch the skin with the potential allergen. It doesn't hurt them or anything. I would get this arranged ASAP, privately if you can possibly afford it. Until this is done I would give only food you have prepared yourself from scratch, or those foods which state they are suitable for nut allergy sufferers (not many )

This sounds terribly scaremongering, but if he is allergic, your ability to limit his exposure now at this young age, could have an impact on whether he grows out of the allergy, or whether it becomes extremely serious. I really don't wish to worry you more (I know you will be very worried anyway) but if he is allergic, the next reaction could be an anaphylactic one necessitating A + E dash So I would be totally vigilant about his food until he has been tested

I hope you are ok, my dear.

carol3 Mon 29-May-06 22:16:17

Hi my daughter has a nut allergy and comes up in what looks like very red nettle rash starting on her face and then developing elsewhere. This is followed a few mins later my swollen lips and wheezy breathing so we have an epipen and priton. Hope this helps priton in syrup form works quite quickly but always go straight to a and e if mouth is swollen or breathing is effected. My dd is 6 now and we dicovered her allergy when she was 2 when she ate some peanut butter of her brothers plate ! but never had to use the epipen and she manages fine.

smoggie Tue 30-May-06 10:31:39

Sorry to hear about this GS, I'm afraid it does sound like an allergic reaction to me although I'm not an expert but have two ds with allergies. Ds1's reactions are very similar. He has egg, cashew and pistachio allergies and was allergic to gluten from weaning but has now thankfully grown out of that. He reacts in very much the same way - he initially gets red patches around his mouth and then hives (like a nettle rash) develop. With cashew nuts he's v allergic to these and he only had a suingle mouthful of a korma with 0.9% cashew in it and his lip started to blister.
Please please don't beat yourself up about whether or not it's your fault. If it is an allergy it would have just been laying dormant anyway waiting for the eventual trigger whenever he had nuts, and if it is an allergy then at least it was triggered when you were around and his reaction was relatively mild. Dh constantly beats himself up about ds1s nut allergies as he's convinced it is his fault as he used to eat cashew and pistachio nuts by the packetful, but I've come to accept that it's just one of those things that happens, we can't change but we can help him to live with it. Hard sometimes though. ALthough you remind yourself that there are children with much worse problems out there you can't help feeling a bit p'd off whenever you're shopping/eating out/at parties and have to be meticulous about ingredients, but it does become second nature.

I would recommend seeing your GP and asking for a referral as this will help enormously in its management - just knowing what you're dealing with and getting access to some expert advice will really make a difference.
We got a referral to a paediatric immunologist and he had skin prick testing. THis isn't as bad as it sounds..basically they do about 6-8 drops of potential allergens on the surface of the skin then prick in the centre of each one with a tiny needle to allow it to enter the skin they then monitor it for a few mins to see what develops. Anything over 3mm is classified as an allergic reaction (ds has egg 4mm and cashew 19mm!!!, pistachio not tested yet)
Once you're in the system and if it is confirmed as an allergy (hopefully not though!), you should then have access to a dietician who has lots of advice re: labelling, sources of information.

I would make sure you have some piriton in the meantime, and ask about cetirizine when he's a bit older (not sure when it's safe to prescribe this). Ds2 has just been prescribed this (he's 3.2yrs) and it's supposed to be a bit better than piriton as it's non-drowsy.
I hope this long ramble helps. I know its a bit frightening and worrying when anything like this happens and it sounds like you've already been through the mill with him in his early months!!! But hopefully you can get a referral and get some definitive answers. Good luck

singersgirl Tue 30-May-06 10:49:23

Your DS could have had allergy tests as a baby which showed up negative, because, according to the allergy clinic we went to, if a child has never ingested a foodstuff, they won't have developed antibodies to it, but that doesn't mean that they won't when they do ingest it.

So DS1 at 9 months showed up negative to peanuts, but the doctor said that this didn't mean he wasn't allergic, as he had never eaten peanuts. We were still advised to avoid nuts until 5, eggs until 2.

As some reassurance, DS1 had 2 all-over-body hives-type reactions as a baby (hence referral to allergy clinic), but the allergy tests didn't identify a specific allergen and he has grown out of his food allergies, and his eczema, as far as we can see. He does react to a couple of suncreams, and is multiply food intolerant, however, but at least it isn't, at the moment, life-threatening.

FrannyandZooey Tue 30-May-06 12:20:00

It could of course turn out to be something completely random which you haven't thought of...ds was in the bath the other day when we saw these enormous patches of sore looking spots / hives all over his bum and legs. It was so bad at first I thought it was chicken pox - then that my friend must have used some dodgy baby wipes when she changed his nappy at her house that afternoon. Eventually we realised I had cleaned the bath very thoroughly that morning with jif stuff and bleach and obviously not rinsed it properly

LadyGreensleevesofGreendale Tue 30-May-06 12:24:22

That is interesting Franny, it could be something like that. I hope it is, nut allergy sounds like a real PITA

Tried to get an appt with GP today and failed - my GP is away until next week AGAIN, the others are all full and there is only one doctor on duty this afternoon Have got appt first thing tomorrow... they were going to make me go through the phone lottery again tomorrow morning but I kicked up a fuss

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: