Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about hidden lactose- about to do a lactose free trial for bf ds.

(25 Posts)
OodPi Tue 28-May-13 12:45:28

He's having some explosive nappies after some heavy duty ABs ( a few weeks ago). HV suggested a temporary lactose intolerance due to the ABs. So I'm going to try to clear my milk to see if that helps.
They said the nappies won't hurt him as a temporary thing (windy & smelly but otherwise normal) but its worth seeing if I can help.

So I'm usually a veggie who eats a mountain of cheese topped in coleslaw followed by chocolate. Which is out obviously but what are the less obvious things to look for and any recommendations.

I will eat ham & bacon if I need to fill in gaps and feeling stupid asking but are sausages ok?

freefrommum Tue 28-May-13 13:42:12

The problem with what you're suggesting is that the body produces lactase (the enzyme needed to break down lactose in the gut) on a supply and demand basis so if you remove lactose from the diet, the body may well stop producing lactase altogether. This will make reintroducing lactose extremely difficult and far more unpleasant than the current symptoms. As long as the nasty nappies are his only symptom, I wouldn't recommend removing lactose from his/your diet just yet. Hopefully his system will recover from the anti-biotics soon and all will return to normal.

HelloBear Tue 28-May-13 13:49:53

I was told not to cut out dairy without supervision from a dietician (which we now have), so surprised at your HV making this suggestion. I would double check with your GP if I was you.

MrsMarigold Tue 28-May-13 14:19:58

I did this - some sausages have milk in them and there is lots of hidden whey in random products.

Stock up on nuts to snack on and you can get a Lindt 90% dark choc for those choc attacks.

Keep things simple as more processed food and things like biscuits are likely to have milk. Substitute dairy products with tomatoes and olive oil and don't bother with that pure margarine stuff, it is rank.

Also you must get some Vitamin Pro D3.

I found it the hardest thing in the world because I live on yoghurt and cheese but managed. smile

MoreSnowPlease Tue 28-May-13 14:26:44

Breastmilk contains a lot of lactose whether you eat it or not so I don't think you can cut it out for him. Cutting dairy is different and could help but as others suggest you really need advice from someone more knowledgable than your health visitor sounds

CreatureRetorts Tue 28-May-13 14:28:25

Your HV is mistaken. I think the ABs comes from wiping out all bacteria good and bad which messes with the bowels. Not a lactose issue as such.

Your BM contains lactose so cutting dairy won't help.

I just had to ride it out with dd when I took ABs. She was fine after a couple of weeks.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 28-May-13 14:31:37

your hv is a bit daft if she thinks you can cut lactose out of your milk as your breastmilk is choc full of it naturally! The best thing to do is to keep feeding him as usual and let his gut heal itself.

Having an issue with cows milk protein is totally different to lactose intolerance and you would normally cut dairy out for that.

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 14:31:42

lactose from dairy is not the same as lactose from breastmilk.

here's an AVOID list of milk by other names:

Casien hydrolysate
calcium caseintate
Caseinates
ammonium caseinate
Hydrolysed casein
hydrolysed whey
ghee
lactalbumen
lactalbumen phosphate
Lactoacidophilus
Lactoglobulin
Lactulose
malted milk
ghee
butter fat
buttermilk
delactosed whey
protein hydrolyaste

and then the no brainers:

milk
m protein
butter
yoghurt
cheese
cream
non fat milk solids
milk powder
rennet

you have to eat nuts and pulses and humous.
you don't need meat.
and drink things like hazelnut milk or almond milk or coconut milk or oat milk

ilovepowerhoop Tue 28-May-13 14:33:53

surely lactose is lactose and is the sugar found in milk?!

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 14:44:09

it's hard to explain (because i'm not sure about the details) but BM is the best thing for the baby even if they have lactose intolerance

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 14:48:56

i do agree with Creatures, though - think it's more likely that it's a gut reaction to the ABs, not lactose

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 14:50:13

okay, apparently it is the same, and if it's a lactose problem, then you'd have to stop BFing altogether.
(it's really not likely to be a lactose thing)

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 14:52:25

just spoken to my friend who's an expert in this

probiotics and cut out dairy in other areas for the child to ease the digestive load

she said.

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 14:52:46

(as in, you take some probiotics)

noblegiraffe Tue 28-May-13 14:54:49

If your baby is lactose intolerant (which would be vanishingly rare and unlikely given that its in breastmilk), it would probably manifest itself in other ways than simply explosive nappies.

Lamazeroo Tue 28-May-13 14:58:26

My god I am just shocked at this ignorance! For crying out loud breastmilk is full of lactose! It's not the lactose that's the issue, it's dysbiosis caused by antibiotics (an imbalance in gut flora). You need to supplement the baby with baby probiotics as soon as possible. Ask at your local health food shop. You need a powder which contains bifidobacterium infantis. They should have products by Biocare or Solgar.
Many babies react to cows milk protein coming through breastmilk. This may be induced or exacerbated by antibiotic use. It's no problem and not difficult for you to eat dairy-free and I see you've already got some good advice on things to look out for.
Good luck.

talie101 Tue 28-May-13 15:33:18

My dc was lactose intolerant from birth. Breastmilk did NOT affect her but was apparent as soon as changed to formula. An immediate reaction - face swelled up, blisters around the mouth, smelly nappies etc. She still has a mild intolerance years later (wind, which is extremely smelly on most occasions, and smelly when going to the toilet). She is allergic to the 'proteins' in cows milk. They are hidden in foods (someone has already listed these above). They are found in most foods, even in some brands of ham!! FGS why is milk in ham?! I had to read EVERY label when buying foods. I substituted milk, yoghurt and cheese for equivalent soya products when very small, but now only have to substitute milk itself. She can eat small amounts of cows milk in other products but if too much dairy in one day can lead to complaints of feeling sick or she is physically sick, but is fine once the body has rid itself of the proteins. Cows milk can be used in cooking as the heat apparently breaks down/destroys the proteins that they are intolerant too and there is no reaction to it then. I guess its trial and error really - there are certain products her body still cannot tolerate. She has to be careful of cream (which I limit if cows milk) and things like cheesecake which she cannot eat at all. Not sure why this is different to other products with milk in, unless the proteins haven't been broken down?

Hope some of this helps.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 28-May-13 15:45:14

she doesn't sound lactose intolerant but cows milk protein intolerant/allergic instead especially if she was ok with breast milk which is higher in lactose than cows milk.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 28-May-13 15:46:43

p.s. lactose is the sugar in milk rather than the protein and lactose intolerant is different to cows milk protein intolerant

OodPi Tue 28-May-13 16:03:07

Maybe HV meant cows milk protein? The other HVinterupted at this point and the discussion got sidetracked.

I'm going to try limiting my dairy intake for a week or so then and see how it goes that way.

Where can I get baby probiotics from? He's only 10 weeks. Health food shop didn't do them this young. I have them if they will go through the milk?

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 16:05:09

maybe.

but having ABs won't make the baby suddenly CMP intolerant.

you can take the probiotics, and they will travel through your milk.
giving up dairy for a couple of weeks won't harm you, and it might quicken the imbalance.

OodPi Tue 28-May-13 16:21:17

Thanks unique makes sense. more than the bloody HV did

Lamazeroo Tue 28-May-13 16:32:52

Actually there's a good one for babies you can order from Amazon. It's Higher Nature Probio Easy.

UniqueAndAmazing Tue 28-May-13 18:31:36

I told my friend about this thread (to get the relevant advice) and she got annoyed at HVs giving out crap advice.

OodPi Tue 28-May-13 19:35:30

Out of the two I saw today the one who said this wasn't the one who I would usually avoid due to hearing her advice to others! I'd got quite annoyed in the past about hearing her weaning advice so know how your friend feels.

Think this one had a vague idea and muddled it which tbh wasn't any more helpful.

Good job I have MN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now