Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Making gluten free bread with a bread maker help!

(13 Posts)
mrsmarzipan Fri 24-May-13 14:03:14

Hi am looking for recipes for gluten free bread to make in a bread maker and have no idea where to start! My 17month ds has just seen the paediatrician as he has a suspected gluten intolerance/coeliac. He has recommended he remains gluten free for 6 months in the hope that his stomach settles (he had a history of cows milk allergy which he quickly grew out of and the winter vomiting bug which started the diarrhoea and bloating etc 6 months ago which disapears when no gluten eaten but comes back if it is) after which point he will undergo the usual tests if he still reacts. Because of this he can't get gluten free on prescription and as the breads are so expensive I would like to try and make some myself. Any recipes greatly appreciated!

nostress Fri 24-May-13 17:10:33

Hi,
My bread maker's instructions has recipes for GF bread... have you checked yours/googled the maker's online recipes? But I reckon you'd be better off making things like corn flour flat breads in small quantities. All the GF flour I've tried dries out/goes crumbly really really quickly and if its just for your son you might end up wasting loads. But you could try freezing! How attached to bread is he? He is so young you might do better (cheaper/easier) just to replace with other sources of carbohydrates. I just use spelt now as I find this better than GF flour and its easier to digest than wheat (but it still has a form of gluten in it).

Good luck!

MadMonkeys Fri 24-May-13 20:30:46

Watching with interest. I'm in the same situation - dd2 is cmpi and suspected coeliac/gluten intolerant. I've tried a milk bread recipe made with rice flour and oatly milk but it is very dense and sticky, I wouldn't call it a success. From everything I've read xantham gum seems to be the magic ingredient but no magic has occurred in my bread maker yet!

MistyB Fri 24-May-13 22:37:24

Spelt is so close to wheat it cannot be labelled as wheat free so not a good alternative.

I have tried for years and while some are OK, none really work.

Pancakes made with rice flour, rice cakes and potato rosti make good enough substitutes when you need something to spread something on / put something between. For everything else, there are biscuits and cake which are much easier!!

Wiifitmama Fri 24-May-13 22:40:39

My Panasonic breadmaker has a whole gluten free section. I have tried some if the recipes and they are very good. But they are specific to the brand of gluten free flour you buy as well as to the breadmaker you use. Mine is the new Panasonic which had been specifically reviewed as making good gluten free breads.

Floralnomad Fri 24-May-13 22:49:42

My sister tried several different gluten free bread recipes for my daughter and TBH they were all revolting . Also its very rare now to be able to get the fresh gluten free bread on prescription ( if at all ) and the long life bread is mainly revolting . My daughter has either genius or warburtons which although expensive are at least edible . Please ensure that your son ,should he need testing later ,has been loaded with gluten for several weeks before the test .

mrsmarzipan Sat 25-May-13 10:31:21

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will google the bread maker and see what they suggest and also see If doves flour has a website with recipes. I have heard of xanthene gum being the magic ingredient, will I be able to get it in the supermarket? It's quite frustrating as I feel like I am doing this alone for the next 6 months as they want to give his stomach time to settle before trying gluten again. To be honest he isn't that attached to bread so perhaps making a whole load of pancakes and freezing them would be a better option. Thanks again smile

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 25-May-13 13:03:04

Xanthan gum is in most supermarket. It is worth knowing that the doves farm GF flour of all types is cheapest in Waitrose! I just don't eat bread I have oat cakes instead.

nostress Sat 25-May-13 14:43:54

Doves farm gf pasta is really good too! I like the tricolore variety.

MrsHelsBels74 Sat 25-May-13 15:28:26

Dove's farm used to do a gluten free bread flour which had a recipe on the packet. Bread used to taste nice but was more like cake in texture than bread. This is a few years ago now mind you (2005 maybe?).

Rebecca75 Sun 26-May-13 22:20:46

I use doves. It is quite cake in texture but a good alternative and not toooo expensive compared to other brands. Apparently crimbles is nice - you can buy in sainsburys I think.

Rebecca75 Sun 26-May-13 22:22:15

Oh... I buy doves from amazon on subscribe and save so it works out at £1.? Per bag

mrsmarzipan Tue 28-May-13 14:17:48

Great tips thanks so much! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now