Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Told to restrict wheat and dairy - food ideas please!

(8 Posts)
ojbsmum Thu 23-May-13 11:02:17

My son has had screenings for coeliac etc, all negative but something is not right. Consultant has suggested we keep a food log and restrict wheat and dairy while we wait for a sweat test for intolerances and an appointment with dietician.
We are a family who lives on weetabix for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and pasta dinners, cake/fruit/yoghurt puddings - not every meal every day obviously but a lot!
We have rice krispies, risotto, lots of potatoes etc but just looking for ideas to replace our wheat/dairy filled menu plan.
Sorry for quick post and being too lazy to search but have just a few minutes quiet while the baby is entertained eating my shoe. Can anyone help?
TIA

pizzaqueen Thu 23-May-13 11:12:32

I'm not a free-from food expert but one of my friends DS is dairy & wheat free.

She cooks a lot of rice and potato based meals, used tomatoes and veg for sauces instead of cream.

Rice noodles instead of egg noodles for stir frys. You can get a spelt pasta which is harder to get used to but pasta is nice easy meal.

Sweet potatos when your get bored of regular. Rostis, roasted, mash, wedges, chips, boiled, jacket potatos.

Emm how about...
Bolognaise, meatballs, sausages, grilled chicken.
Roast chicken dinner.
Pork and apple sauce.

I'll keep thinking for you. Some allergy people on here will come along with lots of ideas.

forevergreek Thu 23-May-13 11:23:21

He might tolerate oatibix/ oat or other rice based cereals

Get a microwave egg poacher. Cooks egg in min, can add beans in a cup at same time for speedy breakfast alternative

Rice and potatoe best bet, but gluten free pasta is availiable and isn't terrible

Bolognaise etc the same but with baked potatoe or rice or special pasta. Most things can be adapted from what you normally eat

MrsMarigold Thu 23-May-13 11:39:32

Not sure how old your baby is but My son is dairy intolerant and my husband swells up with wheat so we just avoid both. We love Dove pasta, the corn one is nicer than the brown rice one, although we have both for variation. Also japanese soba noddles (brown rice).

Potatoes, olive oil, sardines are a good source of calcium and are quite nice mashed with chopped tomatoes and herbs.

Use tinned tomato where you would use milk for casseroles etc.

Steamed fish, mushy peas and potato wedges.

Rice with anything, steamed, risottos etc.

Quinoa isn't popular in our household but barley coucous, I think the brand is is Belzaru is good.

Sticky chicken drumsticks are very popular too.

Good luck.

Favourite means

MadMonkeys Thu 23-May-13 19:18:32

Rice pasta is an easy one. A lot of Indian cooking doesn't contain wheat/gluten. My dd2 is dairy intolerant, we've just had confirmation she is cmpi and we're using oatly instead of milk, vitalite and stork instead of butter. The supermarket free from stuff is a start but we're finding homemade is better although dairy and gluten free bread isn't going so well! Is soya ok for you? My dd2 is intolerant of soya, pity as there are loads of soya alternativves to dairy.

ojbsmum Fri 24-May-13 10:10:14

Thanks for all your replies and ideas. Hope you and your families are all keeping healthy with these diets! It's reassuring to think we already do quite a lot of the meals you mention so are on the right track and not going to have to completely change everything...

My son is 3.8 (his baby sister is 1 and a bit!)

We're not really sure what to do as the consultant said to restrict dairy and wheat as they are common causes of problems but he's not tested for any specific food intolerances yet. He mentioned looking into something like a non coeliac wheat intolerance, I think, and also cyctic fibrosis, (though his pancreas function is normal so don't really think this is going to be an issue...)
The consultant's accent is so strong it's hard to tell sometimes and we have to ask him to repeat so much of what he says.

We're not sure whether to go down the route of switching to soya and free from foods until we've seen the dietitian, or just cut down the amount of wheat by eating more rice and potatoes, and giving fruit rather than yoghurts etc. I guess there's no harming trying them alongside the 'normal' stuff but don't want to leave anything completely out of his diet yet as we're keeping a detailed diary of every thing that goes in and out of DS and suppose we need to compare days when he has wheat and dairy food and when he doesn't.

MadMonkeys, what is cmpi?

ojbsmum Fri 24-May-13 10:13:33

Thanks for all your replies and ideas. Hope you and your families are all keeping healthy with these diets! It's reassuring to think we already do quite a lot of the meals you mention so are on the right track and not going to have to completely change everything...

My son is 3.8 (his baby sister is 1 and a bit!)

We're not really sure what to do as the consultant said to restrict dairy and wheat as they are common causes of problems but he's not tested for any specific food intolerances yet. He mentioned looking into something like a non coeliac wheat intolerance, I think, and also cyctic fibrosis, (though his pancreas function is normal so don't really think this is going to be an issue...)
The consultant's accent is so strong it's hard to tell sometimes and we have to ask him to repeat so much of what he says.

We're not sure whether to go down the route of switching to soya and free from foods until we've seen the dietitian, or just cut down the amount of wheat by eating more rice and potatoes, and giving fruit rather than yoghurts etc. I guess there's no harming trying them alongside the 'normal' stuff but don't want to leave anything completely out of his diet yet as we're keeping a detailed diary of every thing that goes in and out of DS and suppose we need to compare days when he has wheat and dairy food and when he doesn't.

MadMonkeys, what is cmpi?

MadMonkeys Sat 25-May-13 20:40:54

Cmpi is cows milk protein intolerance. You won't necessarily notice a difference if he has gluten one day and not the next. We find that the symptoms come 12 hours or so after a food is eaten then last a few days after that food is eliminated. So one day might not be long enough to tell. Dd2 is 8mo. At 6 mo when we started weaning I realised that something food related was a problem so cut out all gluten, dairy and eggs from her diet as I knew they were likely culprits. The symptoms went away after 3 days. Then reintroduced things one at a time to see what the problem was. Turns out dairy and soya are off the menu and we're trying gluten at the moment. It takes ages to do it this way but with I tolerances ot is the only way as they don't show up on blood or skin prick tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now