Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Versatile, tasty alternative to butter - discovery!

(2 Posts)
kernowmissvyghen Wed 22-May-13 21:15:16

I've just discovered how tasty dripping is!

I bought a big block of dripping on a whim at the supermarket the other week, and it's been a revelation! It has a nice buttery flavour/ mouthfeel on toast, etc and is fantastic in baking too. I just wanted to share this in case there are other butter lovers out there who are having to go dairy free and are missing real butter as much as me.

Ok, it won't be great for anyone who wants to avoid saturated fat, but the same goes for butter.

I have used lard in cooking / baking for quite a while, and while it's good in pastry it isn't quite right (to my taste) in baking, and is frankly vile on toast. But dripping... It's lovely!

And even better, considering how expensive many dairy substitutes are, it's really, really cheap. smile

looseleaf Wed 22-May-13 22:30:30

Oh brilliant! I am going to try it! (If I see some). I would never have guessed to put it on toast though fried bread probably (love fried bread even now it's gluten free)
On toast we use M&S dairy free spread which I like compared to Pure which we're slightly less keen on.
I use duck fat a lot eg when frying pancakes or on roast potatoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now