Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Scratching herself to pieces!

(10 Posts)
Justneedhelp Sun 19-May-13 23:09:55

My two year old has always been a very happy little girl but has suffered what started as minor issues with her skin. She is now clawring herself to pieces.
The more time I spend going to and from the doctors the worse her skin seems to be. I have tried every eczema cream known to man, each causes her rashes to spread (I think an allergy to them) as well as four different steroid creams which seem to work at first then begin to push the problem out elsewhere.
We are now taking part in a dairyfree diet however it still seems to be getting worse even after 10 days. I have a dermatology appointment in June for her but would love to know if anyone has any suggestions in the meantime as its starting to become infected again.
Really sorry to be a burden but any advice would be great fully received.

Bracketfungus Sun 19-May-13 23:25:27

I think that any elimination diet has to be stuck to rigidly for 1 month before you start seeing results. Dermatology will help you manage your dc condition. Other than that I wish you luck in the trial and error that is treating a child with eczema.

Bracketfungus Sun 19-May-13 23:26:27

How many different laundry products have you tried?

Justneedhelp Mon 20-May-13 08:06:53

Thanks for advice much appreciated... I have tried a few different ones I can pinpoint ones which make it much worse but even what is considered most gentle on skin 'fairy non-bio' seems to irritate the skin a little and what worked well when she was a baby has stopped working!!

Bracketfungus Mon 20-May-13 17:20:03

Sorry I am not more upbeat. My dd has just turned 7, and it is still an ongoing problem. Getting the right laundry product is really important. Also it sounds like you have tried many emollients already. The one which my dd uses is hydromol as it contains no allergenic ingredients.

The eczema nurse will be able to help you out with covering skin up so that it can't be scratched, but you may need to request testing for sensitivities. Our dermatologist gave me pretty short shrift when I suggested food sensitivities and this is not usually tested for unless there is evidence of on going weight loss and poor growth.

If it is more on her face and exposed parts of body, it may be an airborne sensitivity.

There are some nice guidelines which detail the indications for particular treatment regimes. Not sure where they are, but they have been linked on previous eczema threads.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 20-May-13 17:26:38

When u wash clothes put them through an extra rinse. Use only paraben and sulphate and animal product free products. Your health store should sell them and I can give you a link if you want.

I would also make sure her room is very cool at night as heat makes it worse.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 20-May-13 17:28:32

Keep
All baths cool as well. Also just use whatever shower gel/ baby wash once or twice a week just use water the rest of the time.

Figbash Mon 20-May-13 17:33:28

I cannot recommend this enough - it is purer than most baby products as it has practically nothing in it (it's about 60p a bottle too). It is the only shampoo i've ever tried that doesn't leave my scalp itchy. And my hair looks okay with it grin

Figbash Mon 20-May-13 17:34:12

I think they will have to cover her rash (i think it's called occlusion) to stop the scratch itch cycle too.

Bracketfungus Tue 21-May-13 00:12:40

My dc have eucerin shampoo prescribed. It has urea in it. It has really helped their scalps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now